Using Borax for weed killer?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have some nasty little sticker weeds along the edges of my drive. I know that excessive Borax is not good for the soil, but these things have to go!

Has anyone used Borax water to kill persistant weeds? These things are an annual, so as long as I can get them before they set on stickers, I'm good. Vinegar hasn't done it in the past, and the 1/4 mile lane to the house is just too far to try boiling water.

These have really hard stickers that get in the dogs paws when we walk them, puncture tires on the mower, etc, and then of course, more of them the next year.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Supposedly borax only works on a few weeds (I think creeping charlie aka Glechoma hederacea is one of them, forget which others).

Salt, or too much borax, can have seriously-lingering effects on the soil... and when you have a bare patch that lawn grass can't live in, guess what you get instead -- the most salt- or boron-tolerant weeds around :p

I'd suggest identifying the exact weed (sand burr? goatshead?) and then looking up whether it's an annual or perennial and what the best documented control strategies are -- it really works best if you hit the weed at its *particular* vulnerable spot, rather than trying to approach generically.

Good luck, ahve fun,

Pat

Latest posts