vaccinations?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Do you have your children vaccinated? I am really not comfortable with it as the years go on and haven't taken my children to the doctor for a "well" checkup for 2 years now. This also means that they have gotten behind on their vaccinations. Since I am homeschooling I haven't had to worry about the vaccination thing as of yet.

I recently took them in to the doctors office cause they had both been coughing their heads off. They told me they didn't have strep and to try a nebulizer treatment. Then they call me 2 days later, right before they close....on a Friday, and tell me that they DO have strep and that they have called in a prescription for both of them. While we were there I had 5 different doctors/nurses "remind" me----read "scold" me---for them being so behind on their well visits and vaccinations.

I'm so irritated with the doctors now that I just don't want to even take them there anymore. The last time I took Maddie in for shots they gave her FIVE at one time. We were both upset and so was Tyler cause he couldn't understand why they were hurting his little sister.

So, what is everyone's take on vaccinations? Which ones do you feel are necessary, if any?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When dd went to get her last shosts they gave her 4 at one time. They brought in 3 nurses to hold her down and asked me to hold her legs. She is not a wild child and was quite willing to get her shots, but when they started holding her down her eyes got big and she said in a low voice"mommy, I'm scared." All I could tell her was "It'll be okay, baby." That made me so mad. I wish I hadn't let them give her the shots that way. I honestly thought they were going to give them seperately or a little gentler than they did. I realize that at some point vaccinations had to have actually helped, but I still don't like them.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
First of all, i would think about finding a doctor's office who doesn't feel the need to scold you. That's ridiculous.

I know lots of paremts who have opted away from vaccinations completely, and i understand why.

When i was a kid, we got just a couple of shots, and they were for the big stuff. But now, it seems like they just keep on adding vaccinations to the list - AND making parents think they MUST get them all.

I cannot believe that all these vaccinations are necessary - or that they have all been properly tested.

I don't have children yet, but when i do, i will be very picky about what they give my child. I will probably want them to get the old tried and true shots - like i had - measles mumps rubella - or whatever it was - and leave it at that.

Stand up to those nurses and let them know that you're in charge of your child's care, and you make the decisions about when they get what. It's wrong for them to talk to you that way.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have never vaccinated my children, I do not believe it in AT all and its a long drawn out story.
My son is 10 and my daughter is 6, my daughter has never seen a doctor, she was even born at home. My son has been to a doctor twice, once at 2 with a 105 fever and they tried to tell me it was an ear infection cause his ear was red! :th and once last year when the floor of his mouth swelled up - they said Strep but couldn't be 100% sure when I questioned them - they even sent him for 2 CT scans - they really don't know what the heck they're doing, they are just good at guessing!

You need to do some research before you even go back to the doc's and get bullied into it or made to feel like a bad parent.

If I'm not mistaken, everyone has a tiny bit of strep going on, and it seems docs like to use that as an excuse to prescribe antibiotics.

My fav. book on Vaccines is by Neil Miller - "Vaccines, are they really safe and effective" Its a very quick read with lots and lots of info and facts.

:D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
I cannot believe that all these vaccinations are necessary - or that they have all been properly tested.

I don't have children yet, but when i do, i will be very picky about what they give my child. I will probably want them to get the old tried and true shots - like i had - measles mumps rubella - or whatever it was - and leave it at that.
First look into those diseases themselves, and decide which poses a greater risk, the vaccine or the disease - you will probably change your mind. :D Be sure to also check on how effective the vaccines are. Check on outbreaks of the diseases and what percentage of the kids were already fully vaccinated - you'll be surprised!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I picked a pediatrician that would work with parents who choose no vaccines or alternative vaccine schedules.

DS had a delayed vaccine schedule. He did get mumps when he was in daycare. :hide He was sick ALL the time when he was in daycare - so was I! Then he started going one day a week and he would always get sick that day and bring it home. He doesn't go at all now. :woot

Unfortunately, my opinion about well-visits doesn't matter. I have a manipulative ex-husband to deal with. :rant

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I picked a pediatrician that would work with parents who choose no vaccines or alternative vaccine schedules.

DS had a delayed vaccine schedule. He did get mumps when he was in daycare. :hide He was sick ALL the time when he was in daycare - so was I! Then he started going one day a week and he would always get sick that day and bring it home. He doesn't go at all now. :woot

Unfortunately, my opinion about well-visits doesn't matter. I have a manipulative ex-husband to deal with. :rant
Well Visits = Money making scheme!

My kids were always in daycare when we lived in CA, because of working parents. We still work, but I work at home now.

Anyhoo - one daycare my son was in did something on Fridays, I never figured it out - but he would get a high fever every dang Friday - I figured it must have been due to some cleaning schedule of theirs, something they were using, I moved him to another daycare!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have had mumps AND measles. Believe me you DO NOT WANT YOUR KIDS TO GO THROUGH THAT!

There are serious side effects that I was fortunate enough to avoid, but is it really worth the risk?

As for a whole bunch at once, just say NO. Schedule individual shots. If your doctor is being a jerk, get a new one.

As for well check-ups....if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have had mumps AND measles. Believe me you DO NOT WANT YOUR KIDS TO GO THROUGH THAT!

There are serious side effects that I was fortunate enough to avoid, but is it really worth the risk?
I was vaccinated and still got both of those. I'd rather not have had the vaccines.

The Measles vaccine has been linked to things like, Encephalitis, Guillian barre syndrome and febrile seizures, anaphylaxis, bronchial spasms, leukocytosis, Stevens Johnson syndrome, deafness, otitis media, retinitis, optic neuritis, dizziness, headache and death.

Outbreaks of measles in 1988 = 69% were vaccinated. In 1989 = 89% were vaccinated and in 1995 = 56% were vaccinated.

As far as the mumps vaccine the list of possible "side effects" include:
Aseptic meningitis, encephalits, diabetes mellitus, parotitis, anaphylaxis and death.
In 1986 reserchers published data on several children who developed diabetes 2-4 weeks after recieving their shots!

I'll still stick with the diseases themselves than risk anything like that happening to my chldren.

Vaccine's wear off in the teens, whereas a person who actually got the disease, felt sick for a while, is immune for life with no long term side effects.

Edit to add: Pharm companies are the same to children as Monsanto is to the veggie garden!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in all of you. I just hate to see my kids go through the trauma. It was bad enough with DS but then when DD came along and my son was old enough to vocalize his feelings I realized how much worse it really was. They have been better health wise since I stopped the vaccines and the well visits. The state of VA is weird about homeschooling and having shots for sports and such so I will have to see about it later on when my kids get involved in those.

I haven't done a lot of research on vaccinations but when my friend's DD started in with all kinds of allergies and skin problems right after getting the H1N1 vaccine I just really started to get even more concerned than I already was.