Vacuum cleaner recommendations

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
i believe part of living frugally is buying products that give you all the bang you can get for your buck...so...I need a vacuum, cost isn't an issue. It won't be heavily used because there isn't much carpeting but I do clean some houses on the side from time to time. I'm looking for something that will stand up to travel occasionally and does a good job, and is a good all around vacuum. Preferably with an upholstery type attachment because the cats chair is awful to clean because he's shedding at least a half a cat per week o_O

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a Dyson that's pretty awesome. The one with the ball, so it's easier to maneuver. They sell one that's made for pets too. I have a chow mix and the hair is out of control, it works great. And it's like a million years old. There's all kinds of attachments. My husband promised if we bought this fancy vaccuum he would do all the vacuuming for me(it's my least favorite job, after toilet cleaning). That lasted maybe a month...

Anyway I digress. Dyson is awesome.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I hate vacuuming too...would rather wash dishes by hand

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a Rumba - it was the only thing I asked for last Christmas. I love it - but it's certainly not without it's issues. It gets stuck under the couch...you have to clean up before IT cleans up. And it can be set remotely to come on and vacuum without anyone being home....but like I said...you have to clean up before IT cleans up or it will get caught on things. But, I still love it! However, ya still need a "real" vacuum cleaner tooo - like for stairs and window sills and ceiling fans. I need another real one - when you pick the best one - let me know whatcha get!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have a dishwasher. I do dishes by hand at least 3x a day. It's way better than vaccuuming!

My dogs would not take the Rumba well. One would be terrified. The other would destroy it in 5 minutes.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to clean houses for a living before a couple of injuries made it problematical. I had then (and STILL have) a Princess. I swear by it. It is a canister type, but the hose is long enough that with smaller rooms (like a 10x10) you can sometimes not even bother to drag it inside the room but let it sit at the doorway. The canister is big, easy to empty, and is triple-filtered. It's also easy to do a lot of the simpler maintenance on it yourself instead of taking it in. It's not the cheapest vacuum out there, but it's cheaper than a Kirby by a long shot.
The only downside is that the filters are not usually available from places like the grocery store etc. I have to buy them from a vacuum repair place in town. They aren't cheap, but when you empty the canister you can tap the paper cone and get a lot of the dirt off of it and re-use them.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got a dirt devil I bought 15 years ago at Wal-Mart for $50. does the job fine

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Bissell that does well on pet hair and dirt, both of which I have plenty of. I have no carpeting in my house so this one does great for me but I don't think I would recommend it if you have carpet.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have been told a Shark is good by a friend who currently cleans houses. I won't buy a Kirby. Will have to look at the Princess. I'm still at least a week out from deciding/buying. Still researching. I sure do appreciate the real life reviews from folks I know and trust! You all rock! ;)