Very clever automatic (non-electric) gate opener

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's pretty neat. I wonder how you could integrate a lock where you don't have to leave the vehicle?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
That's pretty neat. I wonder how you could integrate a lock where you don't have to leave the vehicle?
Hey, yeah.

The first thought that comes to me - possibly not the best idea - is a battery operated lock (among the moving parts). The limitation of battery power for the gate, as a whole, is the amount of work (torque) required to move the gate for opening and shutting. That would drain a battery quickly, whereas locking and unlocking would be a much smaller demand.

Because the locking action wouldn't require much power, a small storage battery or lithium battery would probably provide enough power over a long stretch of time.

Possibly the gate in the video and article is just to contain a herd, in which case locking isn't an issue.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's a nice idea. There ought to be some kind of safety stopper on it if someone (pet, child, inattentive adult) gets in the way of it closing. People have been killed being pinned by the old electric gates that don't shut off when obstructed.

I'm trying to install an electronic gate opener, but there are so many variables that get in the way. A solar opener is not at its best after 7 days of cloud cover!

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I like this Bump and Go gate:

http://youtu.be/gtq7RJy6bs0

-------------

And this kit is not terribly expensive:

http://www.bumpndrive.com/?gclid=CIH0nrGN9LoCFRGBfgodKGQA3w

------------

There are rotating gates on a high frame

gates_gaps_guards3.jpg

Latest posts