1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Fire Fuel for Heating Discussion Thread - Keeping those cold days away!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Very handy gadget for gas-fuel equipment

Discussion in 'Everything Else Homestead Living' started by Joel_BC, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Nov 3, 2017
    Joel_BC

Joel_BC Almost Self-Reliant

I realize that most of us have more than enough “stuff”, but every so often I discover a little-known tool or device I want to tell people about. This little igniter costs under $20, and works very nicely every time. And the manufacturer promises tens of thousands of ignitions. Amazon sells it and I think many other places do too.
    SparkKey.jpg

Winter’s here! I just used the SparkKey a couple times this morning because overnight snowfall had knocked out our local electric power for about seven hours. Since we wanted to make coffee and cook breakfast, I brought in the propane camp stove. This device is better than a match because the initial gas flare-up won’t singe your fingers.

Actually, I bought a SparkKey because I use torches in my shop and in other situations — everything from thawing frozen pipes and things, to bending or cutting steel or brazing, to lighting outdoor scrap piles. Like most guys, I used to habitually light any torch I have (ones that don’t have a built-in igniter) with a conventional welder’s flint “striker” or “sparker”. But those’re fussy, and too often I’ve had to twist the flint around 90* or so, or replace a worn-down flint. :barnie

I’ve found this gadget to be safe and handy to use with my torches.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    frustratedearthmother likes this.
  2. Nov 4, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That's a handy little thing... off to amazon to check it out! Thanks!