VERY impressive self-sufficient method!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Survival, pure and simple. Gotta love their courage and steely fortitude...it would be hard to go under that mass, knowing it could shift at any time, for a few bucketfuls of mussels. Must be worth it, huh?

Whenever I am telling someone I know about doing this or that to raise food for my family, often I am told, "Sounds like an awful lot of work to me!" in a tone that implies I'm just not smart enough, apparently, to have figured out how to procure these things without so much work.

What I know and what they do not seem to see, is that I am not in debt and am much healthier than they, while they gather around the lunch room at work and moan about their bills, how hard it is to "make it" nowadays and also about their many health problems.

Me? I just smile when I hear them but inside I'm saying, "Man, that sounds like an awful lot of unnecessary stress and misery to me!"

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Joel, I had read about the mussel gatherers of Kangiqsujuaq before (assuming these are the same people) but had no idea there was footage. Amazing courage those women have.