very sick goose- goodbye sweet Lucy

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
is he still standing over her? let him keep watch until he moves off... they are kinda like elephants how they mourn their dead.

he may not die but you should try and find a friend for him asap... he'll probably walk around screaming for a couple days and be totally confused. do you have ducks? OD likes to hang with Miss Dash.'

and of course, for all things goose, go look up goosedragon - on PM and i think thats his handle for gmail and hotmail.

sorry for the loss - its gutting, i know.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks guys. i love knowing that you all are always here when the going gets tough.

after a few minutes of me talking to him, he finally let me take her out. this morning he seems to be doing ok- a bit confused but he's not honking like crazy anymore. i'm keeping him penned since i don't know what she got into and because i'm afraid he'll wander off looking for her.

i don't have any ducks, but my uncle does. maybe i could "borrow" some for a few days until i find Gordon (what Ricky's name was before i got him... i mean, what is Ricky without a Lucy?) a new home? do you think that would be too stressful on the ducks or Gordon?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about Lucy. It's heartbreaking to see the remaining animal mourning.

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel SO bad for you! Broke my heart to read all of this. I wish I could've helped. I'm also new to my geese.

I just came in from visiting with my own Lucy the roman tufted. I have 2 females, Lucy & Vera here for my male Nigel, but everyone is young, only a few months old. What kind of goose is Ricky?

We're probably not too far away... I have a friend who has a BUNCH of geese... weeder types... but they TOO are young... maybe we could get her to part with one if you find Ricky can't handle lonlyness.

Also... I've heard repeatedly that a single male goose is fine to live alone... not ideal... but fine. It's when they have a female that they tend to get... well.. aggressive.

So maybe with a little time, you and Ricky can be best of friends. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

I saw Nigel drip some "slime" from his beak and nostrils.. I assumed he's waterlogged from drinking & swimming so much in this heat. I just try to give them a variety of buckets & small pools to swim in, in the shade and in the sun.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks everyone. you guys are great!

DawnSuiter said:
I just came in from visiting with my own Lucy the roman tufted. I have 2 females, Lucy & Vera here for my male Nigel, but everyone is young, only a few months old. What kind of goose is Ricky?

We're probably not too far away... I have a friend who has a BUNCH of geese... weeder types... but they TOO are young... maybe we could get her to part with one if you find Ricky can't handle lonlyness.
he's a Roman Tufted... maybe your Lucy needs this Ricky. ;) he's a couple of years old, though. too bad. that could have been really perfect for him.

I saw Nigel drip some "slime" from his beak and nostrils.. I assumed he's waterlogged from drinking & swimming so much in this heat.
that's what i thought it was a first too... but she was fine all day during the heat and this came on at dusk. so i'm thinking that it was something she ate.

Latest posts