Vine Tie-Ups

Rachel'sFlock

Magical Homesteader
Reaction score
I have been using old (clean) panty hose and knee high stockings as plant tie-ups for tomatoes and wisteria, etc for years. They are very stretchy, do not gouge the plants they support and prevent these non-organic items from sitting in a landfill for a million years.
Many of us who are sufficient tend not to wear them, but many of our friends work 'in town', ad are required to. I have asked all my girlfriends to save theirs for me, and now it is all I use. Since such a small length will get the job done, they can be ties in 2 or 3 places (for knee-highs) and many, many places with whole leg types.
Just wondered if anyone else was using these or if they had any other tips for ties??

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've used them for years - but don't wear any kind of hose anymore. Clever you thinking of asking your friends.

Panther Creek Homestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
okay this is going to sound strange but take the leg of the pantyhose and cut them in 1 inch strips. Like cut the toe off and then in 1 inch strips from toe to crotch so that you end up with many circles of panyhose. I can get about 20 - 30 ties from a pair of pantyhose. Makes them go much further.

Sheila

sslawlor

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have tried growing my garden "up" on trellises this year. I now have some cantelopes hanging from the wires of tomato cages in Knee highs. As they grow, the stockings expand. So far so good. :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Last year I used my hubby's "holey" t-shirts and socks cut into strips to tie up my maters!