Wanted- an extension multiple plug cord with individual switches

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have surge protection extension cords all over- you know, the one with six or so spots to plug in and an on-off switch but I really want one with each outlet having their own switch.
This would mean I could keep a bank of appliances or computer things like printers on one cord yet still only turn on what I want.
Anyone know of such a thing?

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was in the construction industry a while and I built my own cords with boxes and switches on it, and luckily i found an old cord in the dumpster. just make sure its a heavy gauge cord to carry the load. I put inline outlets and you could add switches all along the cord to kill certain parts of it.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Oooohhhhh- but won't the electricity come out and bite me? As you can tell, I'm much too chicken to make anything- I would never trust it. I have been known to try to stare down an outlet that made a zappy noise. I know my limits- plumbings OK electrical no.
But might this not be a marketable idea to save energy? I can't think that someone hasn't done it already,

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
how would it shock you? (not being a smartie)

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
if you don't feel confident in building it you could get a friend or an electrician to do it. I was a plumber and if there's a shocking to be had i ALWAYS get it and i hate being shocked so if i can do it you can too. just follow the wiring diagrams with the outlets and switches

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
The biting thing was just a joke.

Thanks for the idea- I was just hoping that I could go to Radioshack or something.

I have always hated doing anything electrical although I certainly have rewired fixtures and installed ceiling vent fans and replaced outlets and stuff like that.

But creative wiring would make me nervous- like maybe burning my house down. I need those instructions in the packages. :lol:

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I think so- I hoping for the same thing in an extension cord but this will work for my stereo and TV stuff for sure- thank you.
I have outlets up the ying yang and almost all of them are occupied and then some. There's the telephone with answering machine, the computer with two printers, the TV, DVCR, now that stupid converter box, the CD player, tuner, component ampliifier, speakers, heat dish, two lamps.
How did someone ever allow themselves to get so much stuff.................

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh my I hear ya on stuff
stuff has taken over my life
no more stuff...HA HA
well, maybe some! :)

Doesn't it drive ya mad? I am doing the same as you. I am buying power strips. Some are easy, like the bedroom tv one. I can plug all tv, dvd, sat. dish box into one power strip and turn it all off at once.

but in the kitchen if I plug micro, toaster oven, blender, can opener into one, and I want to use the micro and not the others, then I have to turn it all on....LOL....I know what you mean. This 8 switch is ordered. I have 2 of them coming. Hopefully they will help me too.. HA HA