Wanted baby Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog near WV

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
DD has a LCLD adopted from rescue 8 yrs. old. we now are looking for a puppy. These dogs are very special, but they are a handful to train. They must know that you are the leader or they will get out of control. That is why we are looking for a very young Catahoula to socialize for a pet, not hunting or herding.

Our old Rowdy has a good citizenship certificate and various other training diplomas, including search and rescue. He is a very smart dog, but he is still just as stubborn as when he came to us. LOL! He behaves well because he had lots of training and he gets to run every day.

I adopted a female 6 months old Catahoula last year from rescue, she was the smartest dog I ever owned and I love her, but I put her back into rescue, where she remains, because she became agressive and would not let anybody come to my house, and she began to bite people.

Thats ok if it's the bad guy but it's not ok if it is my DIL or friend. :barnie I'm so sorry that I had to put her back in puppy prison. :hit

The Catahoula must be socialized well and very young.

If anyone has a lead on a registered guaranteed health, hips, and hearing puppy, or breeder in Mid-Atlantic USA: WV, OH, PA, VA, or MD leave a reply here. Thanks.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Grew up in Louisiana and we had one when I was a kid. Rusty WAS a smart dog. You could count on him to do the right things. I don't think he was obedience-trained, per se. Just trained to be a good outside country dog. I was a baby when he was a pup so I don't remember. Great dog though! Good luck finding one.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can get you a baby Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab/St. Bernard instead? :D

You don't have leopards where you live anyway! :p

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I can get you a baby Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab/St. Bernard instead?

You don't have leopards where you live anyway!
:lol:

Thanks but DD wants this, I cannot afford such an expensive one. The " leopard" refers to the color of the dog not what they hunt. The Catahoula's hunt in packs, wild pigs that is why they are also called 'Hogdogs" and 'Curs'. They also are excellent herd dogs, the Catahoula 'Dottie' that I had, kept trying to herd the chickens back into the pen when we let them out. :he She will also fetch a ball for you til your arm drops off, relentless, and fearless. :) Here is a picture of her in rescue, she is still available but nobody in my family or circle of friends will allow me to take her back.:hit

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16085572

Is'nt she lovely, a face only a mother could love! :love She has quite a reputation around here!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That explains why I always heard them called catahoula curs. MIL had one crossed with a german shepard that she swore was the smartest dog she had ever seen.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I had one named "Swift" growing up. She was the smartest dog I've ever owned. Every evening mom would tell Swift "time to put the chickens up" and she rounded them all up out of every area of her 1 acre yard and got them into the barn.

She walked me to school every day, knew English and Spanish and did my parent's taxes when she wasn't busy...she was that smart! ;) Really she was a very smart dog. We loved her!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My friend has one of these dogs. She is really smart and just great. Her daughter picked Lou Ann up at an auction for $50.00. I have no idea where she came from. :/

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
She walked me to school every day, knew English and Spanish and did my parent's taxes when she wasn't busy...she was that smart! Really she was a very smart dog. We loved her!
:yuckyuck

Yes they are that smart. Rowdy can understand full sentences instead of one word commands. He does not always agree with me but he knows what I tell him. He also plays practical jokes (dog jokes) on me. He is DD's dog, lives next door, and the only 'grandchild' :lol: that I have.

I'm beginning to think they are a rare breed, more than I realized. :idunno