Reaction score
🌗
24 more days of darkness and
Capture2.JPG

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dear Fellow PNW'ers,
Is you coop built up off the ground with a floor or is it (like mine) on the ground?
I have a sand coop floor,

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My silkies have little houses. The large fowl have a dirt floor. I toss shavings in occasionally. It stays dry on top even though we have a high water table. Run is 15x35 and I put 3 to 4 bales of straw out there every 3 months to prevent it from becoming a mud pit. It's just bare dirt and rock come summer so they can dust bathe to their hearts content out there. There are a lot of worms.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My silkies have little houses. The large fowl have a dirt floor. I toss shavings in occasionally. It stays dry on top even though we have a high water table. Run is 15x35 and I put 3 to 4 bales of straw out there every 3 months to prevent it from becoming a mud pit. It's just bare dirt and rock come summer so they can dust bathe to their hearts content out there. There are a lot of worms.
The straw was a good call, I put down a LOT!!! but with the rain it so packing down,, the hens feet are much cleaner.

I have sand on the coop floor, I keep it scooped and raked every morning. Yesterday at 1 I went out and 9 were under the roosts just bathing up a storm hahahah

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday as I was cleaning up all of the downed limbs and tree stuff from around the house and all, I hate stepping in a surprise from the dogs, I was thinking, "it feels like its about to get cold, it feels like snow" and it is a chilly 35 on the porch
097.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We hit 30 around 2am, it warmed back up several degrees by 4:15 when hubby left. Ive never had the hose still connected this late in the year. I feel I need to unhook it soon. I best do a final water bowl deep clean this week.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We hit 30 around 2am, it warmed back up several degrees by 4:15 when hubby left. Ive never had the hose still connected this late in the year. I feel I need to unhook it soon. I best do a final water bowl deep clean this week.
I unhooked all of mine 11/1