Water purification method?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Home Maker said:
Thanks for the additional info. The lake is about 18 feet deep at the deepest, DH thinks.
This is only true (and only a general rule of thumb, not a guarantee) in summertime or middle of winter, not when the lake has recently 'overturned' (stratification of hot and cold water broken up and the top and bottom layers all mixed together). (You can get overturn from very strong storm winds even in midsummer, in some cases)

When a lake has recently overturned (destratified), all bets are off, no depth is any 'safer' for drinking than any other.

Pat

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We have a Big Berkey.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/

We bought it complete with 2 black filters, are able to clean them. The replacement filters have lasted 3 years so far. I love it! It's price averages out better than anything else that we've tried or researched. We first learned of it during the lead up to the Y2K. It was promoted for the very reasons that you are bringing up.
The British developed it with Royal Doulton to filter even stagnant ponds and mud puddles.

As Mackay states, we add a bit of chlorine before filtering.

ETA: we used it for our pond before we had a well. The pond has a floating pond filter, comes in through a line through a general house filter and then into the Berkey. That's just us.
Some people just buy the filters and make a "berkey" from 5 gallon buckets. I've seen how online.

EverythingPrepared

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Home Maker said:
I am trying to prepare for the possibility of being without water for an extended period of time. After Hurricane Ivan, we were without power and, therefore, water for 80 hours. At that time we were on well water (electric pump), but we are now on county water, which is more reliable. Nevertheless, if we have some sort of major disaster, I'd like to be able to have a safe source of drinking water. We live on a lake, and I am interested in finding a system or method for purifying this water without using heat. Could someone share information about the methods available?
Just for water storage, I like 55 gallon food grade water barrels/drums or the SuperTanker (up to 250 Gallons of storage).

If you are looking at just water purification, there are a number of ways to do this. There are a lot of instructions of how to create your own out on the internet. Just be sure to have it checked professionally to be sure it actually works.

My favorite water purifier is the First Need XL. It uses a Sturtured Matrix System so your water isn't contaminated with particles such as charchoal or harmful chemicals such as Chlorine. It filters down to .1 microns.

It is also my understanding that you can use true colloidal silver (not the stuff that turns you blue) to sanitize the water, but I don't know how well that works. I have heard it works well though.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Jim