water retention

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Watermelon is also a diuretic. What a way to do it :) Mmmm...

Exercise, drinking plenty of fluids (as counterintuitive as that may seem) and eating some naturally diuretic foods may help.

I find I hold on to water a bit more in the heat and humidity of summer... Perhaps it is seasonal?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm with ya on the "useless" exercise.....do you have an elderly neighbor with a dog that needs walking? Do you have phone calls you need to catch up on and cell service in your walking area? Sometimes I will even bring some index cards or a notebook and a pen and make my lists or outline a lecture. Or use the time to design a project. Walking clears the head and the ideas will flow, which saves lots of time in the long run.....I often will call my mom or dad and chat, which is a good use of my time, too. Just some ideas so you can psyche yourself into it!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh yeah, like me&thegals said - watermeon! Most definitely! And water with lemon, lots of it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Beekissed said:
Walking would be my first choice but I also found a little interesting side effect to taking carrot tablets. If you take them on an empty stomach in the morning with a goodly portion of water, by noon you will have peed yourself silly and any edema you may be holding is worked right out. :)
i have never even heard of a carrot tablet. what did you mean to be taking it for? :)

freemotion
Today 8:18 am
There is your answer, it sounds like.....walking!
i know you're right, but i just hate useless exercise....let me clarify. i want to be accomplishing something besides the exercise. i was thinking just now about trying to give myself a daily regimen of yard work. raking and what-not isn't as "walky" as mowing, which i totally enjoy, but maybe it would do the trick enough to ward off this crazy new puffiness, if i did a little bit every morning. the other trick is that it has gotten so hot here in Texas that you have to get it done before like 9:30 or you're risking your health by being outside very long. and even then, you really need to take frequent breaks (or i do at least) to stay hydrated. when i'm mowing, i get into it, and if i don't make myself take breaks, i make myself sick.

o.k. enough rambling.

thanks for your help. and i still want to know what carrot tablets are for and how to eat a dandelion. :)

i have never EVER retained water in my life, so this is pretty weird for me.
Carrots are high in betacarotene(sp?) and and anti-oxidants and are so good for you in so many ways. My folks squeeze carrots each morning and have the juice for breakfast. When I lived near them and was soooooo much more into my health, I couldn't bear the taste of the juice but I could take the carrot pills. Not as good as fresh but still good for you. They had the aforementioned side effect, which I didn't mind either. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
ORChick said:
Parsley and dandelion are both diuretic. See if you can get more of both into your diet.
dandelion - what part do i eat, and how do i clean it? there shouldn't be any pesticides or anything in our yard, so i should be able to just pick one, right?

:)
You can eat the leaves in salad, and you can even eat the flowers when fresh and yellow. I eat the flowers raw in my salad.

Yes make sure they come from a yard with no chemicals.

rowdysunsetart

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
good ol thompson seedless grapes and parsley also works well, watch your intake of sodium, also if you drink wine you might change brands, also if your not taking enough water it will make you hold water...so drink away! Just make sure it is filtered water, sometimes medicines can do this also menopause pre or pro...