1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Support for Sumi - The Supporting Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Water softener?

Discussion in 'Resource Conservation - Water, Air, Earth, Etc.' started by RedheadErin, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jan 29, 2012
    RedheadErin

RedheadErin Power Conserver

We have the standard salt water softener and I hate it. Even if I could afford all the salt it takes, it is a big pain to keep it full. LIfe is rough lately, and since the hot water heater finally kicked it, I am thinking to get a new water treatment system installed with the new water heater, so as to save it from the damage of our horrible water.

What is a good treatment system for rusty well water?

2. Jan 29, 2012
    sunsaver

sunsaver Almost Self-Reliant

Don't know about buying or where to buy, because i'm the design and built it myself type, but i would build a pretreatment system similar to a sand filter for a swimming pool. This would remove the larger particulates and color (iron oxide), and save money on replacing the more expensive water filters used in a whole house filtration system. Another option is a settling tank and a secondary pump, then filter.
    You can however, buy a complete, appropriate sized, whole house water filter system; and hire a licensed plumber to install it for you. Shop online for "whole house water filtration". Call the "800" numbers until you find a sales rep that treats you with respect and answers your questions in a thoughtful, rather than off-handed way. Check with rip-off report dot com, consumer reports, etc, before making a purchase. Hope this helps! :cool: