Water softener?

RedheadErin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have the standard salt water softener and I hate it. Even if I could afford all the salt it takes, it is a big pain to keep it full. LIfe is rough lately, and since the hot water heater finally kicked it, I am thinking to get a new water treatment system installed with the new water heater, so as to save it from the damage of our horrible water.

What is a good treatment system for rusty well water?

S

sunsaver

Don't know about buying or where to buy, because i'm the design and built it myself type, but i would build a pretreatment system similar to a sand filter for a swimming pool. This would remove the larger particulates and color (iron oxide), and save money on replacing the more expensive water filters used in a whole house filtration system. Another option is a settling tank and a secondary pump, then filter.
You can however, buy a complete, appropriate sized, whole house water filter system; and hire a licensed plumber to install it for you. Shop online for "whole house water filtration". Call the "800" numbers until you find a sales rep that treats you with respect and answers your questions in a thoughtful, rather than off-handed way. Check with rip-off report dot com, consumer reports, etc, before making a purchase. Hope this helps! :cool: