Water Storage

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
(There's probably a thread on this, but I couldn't find it.)

How do people store water? From what I've read, some plastic containers are not recommended. What do you use?

I'm getting into brewing (great non-jam way to preserve fruit) some wines and part of the initial setup cost is glass carboys. I have a 6-gal and 3 5-gal carboys knocking about. After reading some of the discussions here, I thought I'd put them to use as emergency water storage. Turns out that I only use the 6-gal carboy occasionally and I often have several others standing empty. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive---around 6.50 $/gal. Does anyone have a cheaper solution? Just 21 gallons of water isn't going to get me very far.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I have 750 gallons (2x375 gallon plastic tanks) of non-potable water that can gravity feed for flushing. We have two 55 gallon water barrels for cooking and drinking, along with a couple of 15 gallon barrels, and assorted gallons and small bottles (these are all plastic, food grade containers). Also I can run my well pump off of my generators. If things get really bad and fuel starts to run out, I can hand draw water from the well. It would be a PITA, but doable.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow. I'm no help, as I typically hoard plastic water jugs (from when we had to buy water at the store), and milk jugs for water storage during the winter. We have three wells on our property, high water table - we hit water at 15'. One well is a hand dug old thing that has a hand pump. So if I 'had' to use it, I could. Is a well possible on your property? I remember reading instructions online on how to do your own well drilling, but that was a long time ago. Might take a while to locate a hand pump, too.

For me, using water to flush wouldn't happen. I'd do it the low tech way - put a 5 gal bucket and toilet seat out in the shop or garage, another bucket of sawdust, straw, leaves, whatever, to cover your business. Swap buckets before they're full. :D I have a lot of buckets and an old chamber pot for middle of the night emergencies, too. Use dish water for rinsing out. An outhouse with a lot of complaining would be another plan.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm using plastic bottles ( that juices come in and soda water, after they are rinsed out good) also have picked up gallon jugs of water,, Hubby has started picking up a case or two of bottled water each month... We have a 50 gallom water barrel we catch rain water in also.. ( well lets say we do when it rains lol we are under a sever drought right now... )

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Water for what purpose?

Some people around here use these 275 gallon totes to store rainwater for gardening. Some get those that can hold potable water. I got two of them for free, currently being stored elsewhere.

Google "275 gallon water tote" if you need examples

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Toulle said:
Something about the combination of 275 gallon and tote just seems, well, odd to me. What, do they put a little handle on top to tote it with? :hu

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the term "tote" comes from industrial use where the tank is designed with external steel tubing frame with the 275 gal. plastic tank inside. Designed to be "toted" around with a fork truck.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Toulle said:
Something about the combination of 275 gallon and tote just seems, well, odd to me. What, do they put a little handle on top to tote it with? :hu
Oh come on - it's less than 2300 lbs of water!
Just lift with your legs.

Latest posts