Water...treasure

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does this count?

Use rainwater for wash/rinse laundry.

Use Soapnuts for the detergent..(am new to this one myself)...use the wash/rinse water recycled from 32 gallon trashcans till finished with laundry for that day.

Next day, use the Soapnuts wash water for hosing down the chicken tractor of 1 week + of chicken poo....7 gamecocks. (Purchased portable pump and hoses for this, and using the rainbarrel water).....use the rinse water for rinsing the chicken tractor, and remaining water going to water flower gardens.

Wipe down laundry trashcans and set p for the next laundry day.

Due to drought....and the need to conserve well water for drinking, cooking and hygiene....I am trying to push laundry day back to 2 weeks rotations.....or, after a rain day.

Right now, our drinking water is a treasure. We really needed rain from Irene...but, it didn't happen.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It is used as a weapon in many countries. Even the US at one point. Research the Pima Indians. There water was diverted and they went from being one of the most prosperous tribes to one that is sick, poor and relies on government handouts.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
It is used as a weapon in many countries. Even the US at one point. Research the Pima Indians. There water was diverted and they went from being one of the most prosperous tribes to one that is sick, poor and relies on government handouts.
Actually I have...Cultural Anthropology is my hobby. I have been interested in cultures, people, traditions, everything....since I was 13.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I could, I would have been more than happy to send Irene your way. :/

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
We are in a wet area of the country- especially this year- but I hear you! We (well, I) try to conserve water but I know we aren't really good at conserving. And sometime in the not too distant future water is going to be a critical resource (and I have read stories about the government monitoring private wells to make sure people are not over using from their wells, and to make them pay for it).

I made a decision that I couldn't live in a desert environment, especially with horses to water- I would always be stressed about them having enough water!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are already doing that in California, Valmom. We were forced to put a meter on our well during one of the droughts, and after that we had to go in and pay for our water. So our water cost twice as much as people on city water-- we had to pay the same rates for the water as city folks did, PLUS the electricity bill to pump it out of the well....:he

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took a bath today and after seeing my $80 water bill for last month I filled 4 gallon jugs to water my tomatoes and peppers. I will never let that water go to waste again. Now to convince my husband, nah he uses too many products.

zippitydooda

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie question: so when rain harvesting or using gray water, HOW do you keep it from turning green with algae? Do you treat it somehow? :hu