water.....

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
apparently I didn't think this whole water in the winter thing all the way through--lol. First winter with chickens, outside well pump frozen today, is it ok for my chickens to drink our softened water or do DH and I need to figure out an alternative source? Seems like there is conflicting information out there. FDA says the trace amounts of salt in the water isn't significant to cause concern but then I read it can lead to soft eggs. :he:he If I can get through the winter then next year we can add heated watering system to the barn but that won't happen this year. Any suggestions, thoughts, advice is welcome

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
is there a way to enclose the well pump area and protect it from the cold?
It might be possible. I will have to check with DH if we have any insulation left from the coop build. It would have go been about 4 ft tall so we will have to see what we have for lumber. I don't think DH wants to spend the $$ now for more wood. hmmmmm....now I gotta think

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It might be possible. I will have to check with DH if we have any insulation left from the coop build. It would have go been about 4 ft tall so we will have to see what we have for lumber. I don't think DH wants to spend the $$ now for more wood. hmmmmm....now I gotta think

stacked bales of straw/hay?

oh, now i see you're pretty far north so perhaps this won't work well enough to be worth it. :(

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
During the coldest winter months, I used indoor water for my chickens with no issues for many years.

The spigot outside was not on the conditioner line. Did not use it Dec-Mar to prevent frozen pipe issues.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
During the coldest winter months, I used indoor water for my chickens with no issues for many years.

The spigot outside was not on the conditioner line. Did not use it Dec-Mar to prevent frozen pipe issues.
Ok. I feel like the biggest "concern" I read about was soft shells but again it wasn't any particular vetted site, so I have a hard time grasping it as truth.

I will likely have to use inside conditioned water now through Mar, with a few days here and there over the next couple weeks with the outside water. I couldn't use it this morning as the outside one was not gonna happen.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Ok. I feel like the biggest "concern" I read about was soft shells but again it wasn't any particular vetted site, so I have a hard time grasping it as truth.

I will likely have to use inside conditioned water now through Mar, with a few days here and there over the next couple weeks with the outside water. I couldn't use it this morning as the outside one was not gonna happen.
I guess you could offer calcium supplements if you are concerned. I at times used crushed oyster shells. Only soft shell issues I had were right after molting

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess you could offer calcium supplements if you are concerned. I at times used crushed oyster shells. Only soft shell issues I had were right after molting
They have access to flaked oyster shells and they own crushed shells if they need, so I think they should be ok. Thanks for the reminder about the calcium supplements though if needed.