Ways to stake tomatoes?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother mentioned the Florida weave. I had to go google it, very cool! I think this is the year I stake, fence, cage, or otherwise keep my tomatoes off the ground. I'm interested in ways to do so that work in large gardens. I expect to plant 30 - 50 tomato plants this year. How do you manage your tomato plants?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise - thanks for starting this thread! I'm looking forward to hearing ideas. I staked a few today but it was basically a stop gap measure. I need to get my stuff together and do it right!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Cages are never strong enough. They tip over or collapse under the weight of the plants. We've left ours to sprawl on the ground the last few years, but I need to do better with my garden space

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I start off with 7' tee-post pounded into the ground about 1' deep. So that leaves 6' for the tomatoes to grow up. I then use lenghts of baling twine tied to the tee posts to keep them growing upright.
IMG_20170706_195731836.jpg

When they out grow the 7' tee posts I add 8' tee posts wire tied to the 7' tee posts. I don't pound the 8' tee-posts into the ground. So that will leave 8' for the tomatoes to grow vertically. Keep securing with more length of baling twine. Pray no strong south winds come along, my rows run west to east.
IMG_20170706_195802906.jpg

Add a guy wire at both ends of the rows with a 12 guage electric fence wire at approximately 45 degrees to bottom of more shorter tee-post to keep the rows tight and upright. Don't let them get out of hand or you'll have to use a come along to lift the rows back up while you secure the 45 degree guy wire
IMG_20170708_191000697.jpg

tee-posts and baling twine seems to work best for me. Tomatoes are heavy and need a really sturdy support to grow vertically.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That looks amazing @CrealCritter !!! How far apart are your tomatoes planted? How far apart are your rows? Do you grow determinate or indeterminate varieties?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks amazing @CrealCritter !!! How far apart are your tomatoes planted? How far apart are your rows? Do you grow determinate or indeterminate varieties?

Those are pictures are of last years summer garden. The 6 rows of tomatoes are around 35' long. Rows are spaced 4' apart and the plants are spaced 2' apart. I pack them in... The less sunlight that reached the ground the less weeding I have to do :)

There are two rows of my 3rd generation big beef steaks indeterminate. Two rows of 3rd generation regular eating tomatoes also indeterminate. One row of san marzano roma type indeterminate and 1 row of san marzano roma type determinate (bush type).

I wanted to give San Mariano's a try last year because everyone says they are like the ultimate roma tomato. My opinion... They grew well, put out plenty of tomatoes, sauced well. But for taste, I still prefer amish paste roma's so I'll be growing amaish paste indeterminate type again this year again.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use cattle panels and T posts, weaving the tomato vines through the squares as they grow so I won't need to tie them up. I place the CP a foot and some off the ground to get extra height for the indeterminate vines I like to grow. I stagger plant them on either side of the CPs to get a good balance for when they get heavy with fruit.

Mama planting mater seedlings when we first started out with the BTE...
100_3151.jpg

100_3152.jpg

For the cherry tomatoes and the big Brandywines, the CP are often not tall enough and I'll get vines lopped over the top like you see in this pic, but a person can always lop off the vines when they get 6 ft or so to force more blossom production on the vines lower down. I've started to do that now, but this pic was taken late in the season when I'd stopped pruning much. This one is a cherry variety that had 10-11ft long vines...there is no trellis available for that, at least not in my garden.
100_3520.jpg

I use the CPs for cukes, beans and peas also.

Latest posts