WE DON'T LIVE FOREVER -- BE PREPARED !

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds simple -- we all know this is true. But the reality of it is that we must have a plan to carry out when these events happen. When you do not have an immediate need is the time to shop and review for yourself and loved ones....been there, done that.:cool:

Consider this a reminder we need to be ready & I'll keep it light. :p

We all pretty much know the options when one of our animals passes on and generally know what, when, how to implement one of the options. Most often it's a burial. Now, if you have no equipment to bury, you will need to call a friend who does, or rent what's needed. The cost will be rather amazing, not pleasant, almost always unexpected. We perform as needed, mourn and move forward. For our human loved ones, things get more complicated.

Having the information needed and a plan to move forward should be discussed with your partners &/or children, as the case may be. You will be shell shocked with the charges -- obtainable from all funeral homes -- for the services they perform. Some are so outrages as to be offensive. So just let me say that you really need to make a day trip to a few locations and shop your options for planning your future needs --- not just for yourself but, elder parents for whom you will need to handle final arrangements. You can negotiate some items to lower costs. You can purchase caskets for about 20% of their offerings prices from outside sources (Yes, that 80% off their price!). :rolleyes:

Know who to contact for any insurance processing. Have the policy information at hand. Consider making a list of who to contact for notification, friends, relatives, businesses, services, etc. Know any rules regarding income for survivors of any annuities. If the loved one passing is the recipient, know the rules governing the end of the benefit. For instance, SS will not pay the benefit (or will reclaim it) for the month in which you die. i.e. July, you live thru 10th...no check in August. you live thru 30th at 11PM, NO BENEFIT pd in August, they will reclaim it if it goes into your account. :(

Many of us have some or all financial in place, location in place, and information in place. If it is not the case, check into what needs to be done because you are NOT in a good position to make these decision in the speed required at such a time. If you have a gravesite KNOW if you have a vault or liner needed, and included in original purchase of site or not (most cemetaries require one, some is State law), know if the opening & closing is pre-paid, that is a bill larger than a reasonable person would expect. $2K to probe, dig & refill is way more than I expected. (I did suggest I would bring my backhoe & dig! After some strong discussion we arrived at a 50% discount). :fl

These things are being brought to your attention as I have had to deal with each and more at the passing of my mother this week. Trust me, you need to take a week and organize the information, double check the items mentioned above, visit a couple funeral homes and discuss what you may need to include in your budget. I know better and let some portions ride, don't do that to yourself. Personally, I'm preparing information and funds for my own children to have at hand for my end....although I will be here until 105....my kids want it resolved now. :old :p

Of course, my children want to know how, where to rid themselves of all my livestock. Well there is another thing to add to your list!! :lol:

Then, my mom suffered from Altzhimers, lived with me 5 yrs, then nursing home past 15 mos. Because of her condition (Altzhimers is unreal!) she often went thru papers and "rearranged things", hid stuff, claimed it was stolen and so on. Well, I am having to go thru papers a sheet at a time as you just don't know what is where. Before this my mother was a meticulous record keeper!

Searching thru things to find a document today, I came across the original of my parents marriage certificate. So, I had always known my dad had been previously married. What I found, as I looked at these things was that not only did my mom have a relationship with a married man BUT, I was born out of wedlock. :th:lol: I sit and laugh at this because my mother was somewhat of a prude when it came to such things and always had negative comments about those temptations. You can be sure that she NEVER mentioned this.....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :love

With that, I would suggest everyone give thought to planning. My animals are here but, I will make a plan for daughter to follow. :plbb Heck, I suspect it will all be taken care of before I check out anyway. I will downsize & the old minis are phasing themselves out. Life goes on and those remaining after your demise need guidance so I hope you consider that. Now back to the paperwork issues.

:caf This has been my public service message for today. :hugsto all.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First, let me extend my condolences on the loss of your mom. I know you've been through a long downhill slide with her. :hugs

Second - thanks for all of that info. It's not something that a lot of people want to think about, much less plan for. But it is necessary nonetheless.

:hugs

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. Funeral expenses are outrageous. My father had money and insurance and left us without any funeral expenses but I know my mother and her husband will be another matter.

I once worked for a woman taking care of her invalid mother. Her son in law built a coffin from wood and she lined it. They bought a funeral plot in a small cemetery that was cheap. When she died they called the local medical examiner. If you have died in Arkansas you don't have to be embalmed if buried within 24 hours. So everything was ready to go. The family knew it was eminent and were there quick for a private ceremony. Some people thought it was gruesome but I felt like it was a sweet time laying Mother to rest once last time. It was the last act of love for the family.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses...my better half's mom died from Alzheimer's 3 years ago this month. It is a horrible death for the family to experience and a blessing for the member who dies as well as the family when that time finally arrives. My prayers today are for your mom, you and your family.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am sorry about your mother's passing. You and I kinda paralleled each other for awhile. My Mom passed away on Father's Day, a year ago. I had all that fun stuff to do too. While she lived with us, she ruffled through her papers and threw out only God knows what. I went through the garbage often, but she threw out papers I KNOW she had, but when I needed them, they were gone. About a week before she died, I called my sister and told her we needed to make funeral arrangements. I just had one of my funny little feelings. We met at the funeral home and I wrote the check out of Mom's account. I was so glad I did that.

Yes. Yes. And Yes! Make all the arrangements you can before you die because it will make it so much easier on your kids. Get your files in order, label everything clearly. Show your kids where you keep important papers.

I am sorry about your Mother. I know it was a hard decision to put her in a nursing home. I still feel guilty for doing that to my Mom. Even though I was there practically every day, took her out often, it wasn't the same as her living with us. She might not have been "all there" but she sure knew where she was and let me know about it on no uncertain terms.

The part about you being born out of wedlock made me laugh. My Mom was married to a man who had another woman pregnant the same time Mom was pregnant with my older sister. My sister found records that showed the other woman divorced her father. Was he married to both at the same time?? She also found where Mom divorced her father, but no further records of either remarriage or another divorce before or after the birth of our brother. Mom married my Dad and he adopted my brother and sister. Mom would never tell them anything. Nothing. By the time they went looking, their father had been dead for 3 years. They found 3 older siblings and 3 younger siblings. Mom knew that and would never tell them anything. She was a little Holier-Than-Thou and everyone always thought she was just the sweetest thing ever......

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your mother and I'm so glad you got to spend time with her and nurse her through a difficult time in her life. :hugs

Excellent post, BTW. There's a surprising number of people who don't want to discuss their own death, so they avoid making arrangements for that reason.

When I moved back to live with Mom, I prodded and poked until we got Dad's and her arrangements taken care of, planned, etc. I also helped her clean out old papers, bought new filing materials and organizational things so we could start keeping her papers in order(still a challenge as she forgets to use the filing system...she never really had one before), got all her important papers in one place and locked up for safety, had her elect a medical and durable power of attorney and also executors for her estate. I share these posts with one other sibling(there are two separate sharing sibs) so there's no chance anyone can say I've taken advantage in these situations(that was per my request, as we have evil sibs in this family).

I've also encouraged her to tell all her interested children how she wants to live out her days, how she wants to die, how she wants to be buried, etc. so there's no surprises when these things occur. As a nurse and especially a hospice nurse, I've seen families fight over top the bed of a loved one about their end of life choices, no matter what that loved one already has in writing.

These things need to be hashed out verbally, be put in writing, and also documented legally so that your wishes or the wishes of your loved one can be carried out as they had wanted. I've seen medical power of attorney documents overridden time and again when family comes into play, declaring they want to keep Mom/Dad alive at all costs, no matter if that is not what Mom/Dad wanted.

Great topic and one that is much needed in each home. Be sure you really KNOW the people you are trusting with your end of life care and your death, be sure you can trust them to carry it out objectively and how you would want it. Then make it legal.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bee, so glad you chimed in with you experiences. Yep, you have seen the worst in families I am sure. Things people would never expect or believe.

Bay, we have a lot of similarities in our lives & opinions :p I no longer feel guilt about mom being in the nursing home (which was a lovely one, small and not hospitalish) as I knew she needed 24/7 and I could not do that alone. Plus it was less expensive there than having 16-20 hr a day help. They were licensed & trained staff. I have no siblings to help or complain.

FEM, you have your own parents & in-laws coming along. I know your mother has had issues for a while, your brother helps but issues with mom....it's very difficult, as we both know.

Moon & Icer, you both know how these issues present from type health problems to financial limits. And yes, you can provide your own coffins, even green burials at your own farm in most states. They can be very beautiful.

The cemetery was set, except for open/close of grave. Mom had told me where she wanted to be taken...I just had not gone & made the actual arrangements. Funny, about 6 weeks ago I had one of my "death preview intuitions" and did not heed the warning to go MAKE arrangements. So, middle of the night comes the call. Knowing the expense, I'm shopping for a casket at 3AM...but, got it done. Mom has been going down hill for last 6 months, couple mini strokes, etc. About a month ago, she told me she wanted to go to Heaven. I am certain she is there and it is a better place. She was 91 1/2, long life, doing good for many.

Thought about this thread before posting but we DO NEED to do these things, talk about these things, resolve them. Hope everyone reading can benefit from the information and that it sparks a little review of their own situation. :love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your mom. :hugsit is good to hear that she was ready. Makes it much easier for those of us left behind to know the person leaving was at peace with it.

My mother tells me every time she gets on a plane where her paperwork is. Everything is planned and paid for. And she is 58. She and my step-dad are good planners. Everything goes in a trust for my brother and me. He won't even be able to handle what happens from there... Pretty sure I'll be handing him things to sign and hand him his half when things are settled. I appreciate that but it's also hard knowing it's all going to be my job.

When my step-dad's father died (his mother was already gone), he and his brother had years worth of stuff to clean out. It's taken them years and hiring multiple people to help and they finally got most of it relocated. The house is rented now but the barn isn't empty. I am a minimalist but my husband is a borderline hoarder so I'm already trying to think about what exactly do I want to leave my daughter? Not a disaster... That's for sure.

Good thing to mention that no one wants to talk about. Thanks!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:hugs

I know my parents have plans already in place, so it shouldn't be a problem when the time comes.

Latest posts