We found a use for the trees our horses killed

feather and mountain man

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We had to have 35 trees cut down last year after the horses decided to eat the bark off of them. So DH said to me while driving back home from shopping today.

Hey I had a thought I want raised garden beds right?

Yeah.

We got all those downed trees and I was thinkin we don't need fire wood so why not use them for your borders of your raised beds. :clap

THats awsome! When can we start moving them. I'll start this weekend.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a log bordered bed. Works great.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That will be so cool to have some big raised beds from logs. :)

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did an image search for hugelbeets and BB's profile pic came up! I guess the interwebs/googles is a small world after all!:D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Google Hugelkulture as well. Lots of good info on permaculture.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I've gotten about 6-8 yrs use out of 10-12 inch oak logs for raised beds before they rot out.Sure beats buying something to make raised beds with.I've also used grapefruit sized rocks( more or less), dry stacked, that last forever.All rocks and logs free of course..:)

OldBrickHouseFarm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Another good option is mushroom culture. Depending on the kind of tree ****ake, oyster and many others. The logs need to be fairly fresh.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use dead trees to make scratchy posts for the horses. Just cut the top out and leave the stump in place. You can even wrap them in rope and the horses will love you forever. You may want to look into why your horses killed so many trees. Depending on how many you have, there maybe teeth issues, nutritional deficiency or boredom going on. We have 6 horses and lost 3 trees over the past 3 years. One due to a bad tooth. The other two lost their bark after an excessive rubbing session. We have a bunch on our property though because the neighbor used to keep her horses there rent-free before I came along and never fed the horses, which then turned to the trees for food. Good luck! :thumbsup