We got heritage seeds!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I know this isn't the easy garden, but gardens go with SS, right? and I wasn't sure where to post this, as we don't have a "gardening basics" area LOLOL
*and i really am a member to enough forums right now!*

So anyhoo...My mom and I went in together to order some heritage seeds. We split the package and now I have 31+ veggies to plant in my garden come spring!

My husband is working on tilling up a larger area for our garden now, so I can work some compost into the ground. I am so ready for next years planting season!!

And I must confess, this is the very first time I have wanted to garden! Normally I leave the gardening to my husband, as he is the one who loves doing it and has the green thumb. BUT next spring, I am going to be out there with my toes and hands in the dirt!

I have several different types of tomatoes, melons, and beans that I am going to plant. Also squash, herbs, lettuce, cabbage, beets...and purple top turnips!! and some Arugula.

Being heritage seeds, I should be able to collect the seeds from them to save from year to year.

Does anyone else garden with heritage seeds?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Right on!! You go girl:woot

Heritage seeds are one thing alot of people tend to overlook when thinkng self sufficincy:>)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so far Ive only used pumpkin and watermelon but they are the most reliable seeds Ive used. I get mine from www.rareseeds.com where did you get yours?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
ams3651 said:
so far Ive only used pumpkin and watermelon but they are the most reliable seeds Ive used. I get mine from www.rareseeds.com where did you get yours?
That's exactly where I got mine! We ordered the medium homesteaders pack. My mom would like to order the large one, but it is $350 :th :ep We tried to get 4 other members of our family to go in with us to order it, and divide all the seeds up 4 ways, but no one was interested. Now my mom is talking about buying it and just splitting it 50/50. I am seriously thinking about it!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i want to order more next year, their shipping is also very reasonable.

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that www.heirloomseeds.com is my favorite of the three because they have better info on the seed packets, when to plant, how long they take to produce , etc and the other two companies seeds do not have this info so you are winging it !

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
sweetcorn said:
Just wanted to add that www.heirloomseeds.com is my favorite of the three because they have better info on the seed packets, when to plant, how long they take to produce , etc and the other two companies seeds do not have this info so you are winging it !
Thank you for that info! I will check it out!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All of the tomatoes I planted this year were heirloom, and most of the seed was what I had saved.
I also like Moon & Stars watermelon.

Does anyone have a favorite heirloom bell pepper?