We got our first Angel Food box!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We got our first Angel Food boxes today. I made a game out if it, had the kids come out as I was opening the boxes and putting the food away. They were THRILLED to see the chicken bits and fries, which will be their lunch today. I was a little bit disappointed in the size of the roast...I mean, 2 lbs, come on? It would take TWO of those to feed my family. And a small 6 oz bag of pancake mix? LOLOL OK well, that will feed my DH before work one morning, but not my entire family. Other than that, I am really pleased with the boxes. I figure that two pound roast I'll cook up, then chop up, and make it into a stew for dinner tomorrow. I can make it all stretch!

I ordered one of all the boxes, except the senior box. Oh and I ordered 2 of the grill boxes, because well, one just wouldn't feed my family. The chicken box will be lunches for me and the kiddos while DH is at work. Dh doesn't like chicken breast too much, but the kids and I love it. The 2 steaks I got in the grill boxes wouldn't feed my whole family, which is why I ordered 2 boxes. Still not sure that 4 steaks would feed us all, so to stretch it I am going to cook the 4 of them up like I normally would a roast. That will be dinner tonight. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

When I got to opening the fruit/veggie box my kids went wild. They are going to have their first grapefruit today. I have never thought to buy it before, so when they saw the huge "oranges" in the boxes they asked for them. Will have to see what they think LOL

As soon as I opened the boxes and saw that everything really is portioned for smaller families, I immediately started to think of ways to stretch everything. Pretty much it would all make meals for my kids if Dh and I don't eat with them LOLOLOL But that's where my insistance on portion control comes in. I carefully measure out everyone's servings so they can have seconds, and sometimes leftovers for the next day.

I think I have everything planned out for meals for the next two weeks. :) I don't think I can get anything out of the boxes today to stretch further than 2 weeks, but that's Ok. I plan to order again next month, too, and now that I see how the boxes are, I can change up my order to fit our needs.

Definitely next time, ordering TWO fruit/veggie boxes! :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
That is awesome that it worked out so good for your family!
My church bought us a box a few years ago when they were first getting started with the program to get families interested in it...but the portion sizes were just to small for our family. Plus some of it we just wouldn't eat.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, there are a few things in the main box that you have to order that I won't put in my family. Like the shelf milk. I sent that on home with my step dad. Told him to see if my mom wanted it or give it to someone else.

The pork ribs are real small, but I'll throw that in the slow cooker with some 'kraut and cook that until the meat falls off the bones. Mashed taters on the side.....MMMMmmmmmm!!

Ok, now I want pork for dinner LOLOLOL

Getting these boxes is really going to cut down on my grocery bill. I did the math, and if I make all the meals stretch, then I will have fed my family for the next 2 weeks at about $55 a week! Not bad for a family of 7!!! Now lets see if I can really do it!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Sounds great! Congrats :)

I wish we had the Angel program here, I hear it is a wonderful program.

When you say shelf milk, do you mean powdered? If so, powdered milk is great to have on hand for cooking and baking...it really saves on the milk bill!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really like to use the shelf stable milk in baking, I cannot tell the difference. Also it is great for your food storage :D
It is great that AFM is available to you in your area.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Sounds great! Congrats :)

I wish we had the Angel program here, I hear it is a wonderful program.

When you say shelf milk, do you mean powdered? If so, powdered milk is great to have on hand for cooking and baking...it really saves on the milk bill!
I think we were typing at the same time :D Shelf stable usually looks like the boxes soy milk comes in or like the liquid chicken or veggie stock boxes.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
No, it is not powdered milk. I keep powdered in my cupboard for baking. This is liquid milke that doesn't need refridgeration until it is opened. It is like ultra super pasturized or something and I am really wanting the least amount of pasturization I can get LOLOL....

Fresh from the cow would be ideal but.....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
QA - I don't know what brand your milk was but my DD gets Bordens 2% milk with her WIC. We use it to mix with our whole milk.
I personally do not like 2% milk but if I mix it with my whole milk about half and half it really cuts down on my milk bill and at almost 5 dollars a gallon and with the amount we drink it really helps. I really can't tell that much difference when I mix it like that.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, there are a few things in the main box that you have to order that I won't put in my family. Like the shelf milk. I sent that on home with my step dad. Told him to see if my mom wanted it or give it to someone else.

The pork ribs are real small, but I'll throw that in the slow cooker with some 'kraut and cook that until the meat falls off the bones. Mashed taters on the side.....MMMMmmmmmm!!

Ok, now I want pork for dinner LOLOLOL

Getting these boxes is really going to cut down on my grocery bill. I did the math, and if I make all the meals stretch, then I will have fed my family for the next 2 weeks at about $55 a week! Not bad for a family of 7!!! Now lets see if I can really do it!
Good luck with the food dollar stretch QA! I think every little bit helps. I'm always surprised that I haven't seen lentils and rice in the menus for the boxes. The AFM in our area is about 10 minutes away.

We occasionally use the shelf stable milk in baking with excellent results. My granddaughter is allergic to the protein in cow's milk, so we purchase soy or rice. But when I worked at the private school, we got a donation of 50 cases of the Borden's. We found that if you are going to drink the shelf stable milk, it tastes best refrigerated until it is absolutely cold!

Did you take the dozen eggs that come with each box? :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
OH yes, I took the eggs! My girls aren't laying every day yet, and I had just used my last eggs for breakfast this morning. :)