We May Want to Start Stocking up on Petroleum Products

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Things seem to be getting pretty tense very quickly in the Mideast. With tensions between the two countries already tense from several terror attacks launched from Egypt into Israel, Israel is sending two additional ships to the border area. Iran is sending its' 15th Fleet (whatever that is) to the same area "to thwart pirate activity".

Israel sends 2 warships to Egyptian border

All this is coming as US troops are being deployed to the Sinai Peninsula.

Missouri Guardsmen Deploy to Egypt

Looted Libyan arms flooding into Gaza

I'm not saying that there is anything eminent about to happen, but it wouldn't take much of a misstep to ignite a powder keg. A conflict of this magnitude would have a very detrimental affect on Oil prices. It's only prudent to look at what is going on in the world and prepare accordingly. YMMV

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh great. That's just what we need. It is a very unstable hot-bed in the middle east countries and oil is the big prize.

When the storm was starting up our east coast the fuel prices increased around here from $3.45/gal. to $3.79/gal. almost over night. When they discovered that the storm was not going to affect the east coast refineries they decided to keep the price up there for a while. Just because they can.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Oh great. That's just what we need. It is a very unstable hot-bed in the middle east countries and oil is the big prize.

When the storm was starting up our east coast the fuel prices increased around here from $3.45/gal. to $3.79/gal. almost over night. When they discovered that the storm was not going to affect the east coast refineries they decided to keep the price up there for a while. Just because they can.
And we noticed, here in SW Oregon, that our gas prices went up as well - because, you know, hurricane on the east coast affects us in Oregon so severely :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Stock up?

what are you going to stock up?

I can't stock gas truly....so what else would I stock? I truly can't think of anything.....huh

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The price of oil affects nearly everything... building supplies, food, and clothing come to mind immediately.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hurricanes,wars,etc. they'll use any little excuse to stick it to consumers,certainly nothing new.The Middle East seems to always be in turmoil. It's true, wouldn't take much for the whole region to ignite.That would really give the big oil boys a reason to hammer what tiny bit of economic recovery we may be having.If the oil does or doesn't flow, they will always find a way to keep prices up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sure I know petroleum is in everything.

so what to stock....like $5K of building supplies for a project later?

LOL

you can't truly 'stock up' to beat petroleum prices that I can see........

while I understand the need, it is not feasible to beat oil ya know lol

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Sure I know petroleum is in everything.

so what to stock....like $5K of building supplies for a project later?

LOL

you can't truly 'stock up' to beat petroleum prices that I can see........

while I understand the need, it is not feasible to beat oil ya know lol
Actually, on some things you can. Things you consider irreplaceable to your day to day routine. Do you use beauty products? If they aren't natural or organic chances are they have petroleum in some form in them. Toothpaste? Same thing. Any medicines, even over the counter, that come in plastic? There's your petroleum. Food, soda, beverages, coffee, plastic containers, sandwich bags, shoes, household cleaning products, dog food ..... Things we don't even think of as containing petroleum will be affected, either directly or indirectly if something happens. And to be honest, alot of this stuff should be stocked and rotated anyways, alot of us just don't do it. I agree that I have neither the money or the room to store building supplies, but I can start stocking up on the essentials, especially those essentials that are not going to go bad immediately. :hu just makes sense IMO.

And thank you k0xxx, that was something I missed on the bbc last night.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Watching the hurricane aftermath coverage, one of the big problems is gas stations without electricity. No electricity, no working pumps.

I have a can of gas with stabilizer added. I think I have 1more empty gas can. I better fill that too.

Can't store a large amount, but having an extra 10gallons on hand for an emergency won't hurt.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Be careful stocking up specifically on gas, etc. Keep it in an approved storage container, away from inhabited buildings. We always have a supply of gasoline in our garage, in large containers, that my husband keeps 'in rotation', so it's always fairly fresh. Obviously it's not a major quantity, but it's enough to get us through a week of the generator, if we need it. Unless you have a permitted tank, it really isn't realistic to think you can 'stock up' on gas, however, oil and other products you can. Let's keep our discussion positive here, and realistic - there's nothing wrong with trying to be prepared, even if it's only for a week or so.

We lost our power for two days with Irene (other towns around me, including my mother's, are still out, going on five days now, they'll be out until at least Friday), but we have a generator, so I was able to save my freezer. Couldn't do anything with the fridge due to the inaccessible plug location, (gotta fix that), but my sister, who lives two miles away, didn't lose her power, so fridge contents went up to her extra fridge in her garage. But gas we had, so we could have kept it going for a full week or more.

Latest posts