We were in the newpaper

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My husband and I were awarded a plaque by the historical commission in our town this week.
Our home was built in the 1700's and was a stagecoach stop that ran from here to Boston.
They also had a shoe factory on the property and Daniel Webster use to come here to get his congressman's boots made.
It was also a farm.
So given its historical signficance the town wanted to recognize it.
It was a really nice little ceremoney and the mayor of our town presented us with a plaque bearing the name of the person who built our house along with the year it was built.
Its a nice oval plaque and we put it on the front of our house near the door.
The day after the ceremony a reportrer from the local newspaper called and asked to interview me about the house and then asked if they could send out a photographer the next day.
So the photographer came out and took a bunch of pictures of the inside and outside of the house.
They did a good job on it, I was nervous about the interview but it they did it well.
There is an entire page of pictures and then the interview on the next page.
So what they want to do now is organize a tour of the historical houses in our town and have people stop and visit each one.
On Thanksgiving my husband saw some women outside our house pointing and walking around, so he went out to see if they needed something.
They said they saw the paper in the house and wanted to walk by and take a look and then they had a conversation about the history.
Its been really nice since we have worked so hard to restore this old place.
It has so much history and I feel like we are the keepers of this old place.
Too many houses get torn down or remodeled to death and it loses all its character.
I really love this old place, slanting floors, drafts and all.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is really awesome. All of your hard work to preserve the place is being recognized! Good for you...enjoy having your home in the limelight :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
That is wonderful- I love that people are willing to take on the effort of keeping up an old house so that it will be there for the next generation to see. Congratulations

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
have you posted pics in a thread somewhere so we can see?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is wonderful.
I know I enjoyed chatting about your home when you told me all the hitstory. it is so interesting and you can't get that old history back...so we must tell all and pass it down the line! Love to see those pics too! :)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I was just talking to ann-reinbeau yesterday about how to post pictures here.
I am going to try to figure it out, I am missing something on the camera that makes it easier to post pictures so we were talking about a different way to do it .If I have a problem with it though I may have to ask her to do it for me.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Let me know, Nat, and we'll make it happen. I've got a card reader here on my computer, I used to have another, but I think I gave it away - they're inexpensive, you can get one at any office supply store, or Wally-world, for that matter!

By the way, everyone, Natalie and Bill's home is lovely, and it is truly an old, historic home, I love the way it's been restored I'm an old house lover from way back, my parent's home was built in 1804 (relatively new!!), a farm I used to work on was built in 1660, and my youngest brother lives in a colonial built in 1798. Old homes abound around here, but well-restored and maintained homes are a treat to see!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks Ann, I am so not computer savvy. I am learning as I go along. But getting there slowly but surely.
I wonder if I can scan the newpaper pics too.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'll bet you could contact the reporter and ask for the photos digitally - most of the local photographers for newspapers are happy to share them.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Can you just post a link to the newpaper article. That would be neat too. Plus show all the pics.