Weird goat milk question

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We tasted our does milk on day 5. Salty. I know goats milk does have that undertone to an extent, but this was rather strong.
Its been too many years for me to really remember what our good stuff was like.
And besides all that, my parents pasteurized all their raw milk when we were little (not any more, by the way)

No mastitis that I can tell, at all.
Is it still a case of there being a bit of colostrum involved?

Oh, and she is going to be an awesome milker, even though she has little handles! Getting 3 cups off one side in the morning, and two off of it at night. And its just the first week!
Her kids is nursing on one side, and I am just taking a bit more as its available.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I never actually tasted the colostrum....maybe check on byh if no one answers here? It can take more than five days for some does to freshen. I put a bit in a small metal measuring cup and heat it to bubbling around the edges to see if it gets really thick. Once it is still liquid, that is when we start using it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I never actually tasted the colostrum....maybe check on byh if no one answers here? It can take more than five days for some does to freshen. I put a bit in a small metal measuring cup and heat it to bubbling around the edges to see if it gets really thick. Once it is still liquid, that is when we start using it.
Cool! I will do that!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably still a bit colostrum-y. I'd keep trying, soon it should be nice and mild tasting. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Yeah, it's probably still a bit colostrum-y. I'd keep trying, soon it should be nice and mild tasting. :)
Today's milk is good :thumbsup

Now I can make baby's formula with it :ya

And once the kid is weaned, I can start making cheese :weee