Weird request, but, any SQUIRREL recipes.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I am thinking I am going to do some squirrel hunting this year. I don't really know any squirrel recipes though. I have heard that squirrel aste prety good though. Wow.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've only ever had it fried or made into gravy. Its okay but not my most favorite meat. :p

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I've only ever had it fried or made into gravy. Its okay but not my most favorite meat. :p
I did find a recipe on Youtube for squirrel melts. THe season starts on September 1 :woot

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like squirrel, but it has been a long time since I have eaten it. You can flour and brown it in a skillet, then put it in a covered, oven-proof dish, lay bacon over the top, cover, and bake until tender. You can then use the drippings to make gravy. Thhis works well for an older, tough one.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow it has been ages since I had squirrel
Tony's grandma was a big squirrel hunter and basically it was flour and brown, then a crockpot type stew to tenderize the meat.

Not sure what she did but it was tasty.
Tony doesn't enjoy squirrel hunting so we haven't had any in a long long time.

Hope you find some good receipes and share when you do....who knows, I may ask Tony to get me one and try it again.
:)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have some recipes that calll for rabbit or squirrel. I have made them for rabbit but never had squirrel.
This one is myfavourite.

Homesteaders' Rabbit or Squirrel with Cream Gravy,

3T all purpose flour
1/2 tsp slat
pinch pepper
pinch nutmeg
1 wild rabbit or 2 squirrel, cut up

2 T butter
2T veg.oil
3/4 cup rabbit stock or chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small bayleaf
1/2 cup half and half

Combine fisrt 4 ingredients and shake in a bag to coat the meat. Reserve excess flour mixture. In a large skillet melt butter in oil over medium low. Add coated meat and excess flour mixture, brown meat on all sides. Add stock onion and bay leaf and heat to boiling. reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender--45 minutes to an hour for rabbit and 1 1/2 hours for squirrel. Stir in cream./cook over medium low until cream is heated through. Do not boil. Discard bay leaf.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I have some recipes that calll for rabbit or squirrel. I have made them for rabbit but never had squirrel.
This one is myfavourite.

Homesteaders' Rabbit or Squirrel with Cream Gravy,

3T all purpose flour
1/2 tsp slat
pinch pepper
pinch nutmeg
1 wild rabbit or 2 squirrel, cut up

2 T butter
2T veg.oil
3/4 cup rabbit stock or chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small bayleaf
1/2 cup half and half

Combine fisrt 4 ingredients and shake in a bag to coat the meat. Reserve excess flour mixture. In a large skillet melt butter in oil over medium low. Add coated meat and excess flour mixture, brown meat on all sides. Add stock onion and bay leaf and heat to boiling. reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender--45 minutes to an hour for rabbit and 1 1/2 hours for squirrel. Stir in cream./cook over medium low until cream is heated through. Do not boil. Discard bay leaf.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
September 1st is Labor day! So I can go hunting then. The limit is 4 per person.

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Taste really good bbq'd or in a pot pie, too!

Michelle

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Hey Ticks,

I don't have any recipes but you could substitute it for just about any meat. I think it would be good in a dutch oven dredged in flour and spices and with some bacon drippings. The last time I had squirrel was fried and it was on the chewy side but very tasty.

Latest posts