Wellsummer Egg!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMG_2303.JPG
I have a trio of Wellsummer chickens and today I got an egg! I knew I could share with y'all. Isn't that dark egg pretty?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's lovely and so are the collection of different shades and colours of eggs in the carton. I'm a little jealous here :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always wanted to have a variety of egg colors like that. I picked the wrong chickens, lol! Looks great! I like the dark eggs a lot.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lovely! My Marans lay those, at least some do. LOL My customers love the colored eggs. Me too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want to set some Wellsummer eggs. I have two roosters--IN THE SAME COOP--and they aren't fighting. :thThey don't try to flog me, they are two very well behaved boys. I am amazed. The Delaware roosters I had were so darn mean, as was the Easter Egger rooster that I had. All went to the cooking pot! I have two EE roos now that aren't mean, but if they go down that road.....there is a soup pot waiting on them! I want to take one of the Wellsummer roos and put with a few EE hens so I can raise Olive Eggers. Egg colors are fun!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some of this yr hatchlings began laying about a month ago and several are laying olive & moss green eggs. I knew there should be some as the hens laid blue and roos were from brown layers.

This summer I plan to use two Ameraucana roos on those blue egg hens & hope to get a deeper blue from resulting layers. It's fun to dream. :)

A few of the darker egg layer Marans will be penned with one of the full Marans roos, to help with more of the dark egg laying results. Wellsummers lay a lovely color!

Otherwise, I'm happy with the "normal" brown layers. I have only ONE white egg hen, who was sold to be blue layer (day old chick). Chicken & egg colors are the "fun" part of a flock, IMO. You have a funky purple in lower left of pic??

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the lower left is just a pale brown egg that wanted to be a dark brown when it grows up. LOL

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20180110_150351.jpg
@baymule we have two roosters too. They get along great, and share the 15 hens. They were both given to us at the same time when they were about 8 weeks old and grew up together. While free ranging, we often see them together. If that changes as they get older, we'll have to decide which one to keep, but so far it has worked well. They are about a year old.
Beautiful eggs! I love that dark brown. Our other ones look kind of like yours: