What animal would do this?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We are trying to determine what animal we have around here.
We have a bench against the back of our house. Behind and under the bench was a full sized rabbit with no head. This isn't an area where we have ever seen a rabbit before so we think it was carried there.
Any ideas as to what animal just eats the head? We are very forested and NE Ohio if that helps.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have a hunting dog. while out hunting, the dog will go to retrieve the bird or rabbit. She has been known to just eat the head off and leave us the good meat.

Not saying that is what it is, but this is what our dog does.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
There has on occasion been a loose beagle on our road. I usually hear him in the wood across the road. That's a possibility.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a critter getting in my chicken house back in January. It would kill one chicken and eat the head. I finally figured out how it was getting in, fixed the problem, but never did see the varmint. In times past, I have always had problems with racoons doing this, and a neighbor told me that he though it was a fox. As far as my problem goes, I am betting it was a racoon. I have also heard that weasels take the head only.

Here is a site that might help; however, it deals with chickens.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151316

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raccoons aren't to big on eating rabbits, chickens yes rabbits probably not. I would sooner think it was a fox or weasel. Weasels are notorious for eating the heads off things and letting the rest more meaty portions lay.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My tomcat kills full grown rabbits but he usually eats the head and everything else, except the alimentary canal. :sick He did leave a full back foot and a thigh bone last time....right on my settee! :rolleyes: