What Are They Thinking...??

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sometimes i stand out by the street and look at whats going on in my neighborhood.
One neighboor is breaking ground to put a inground swimming pool in. Another neighboors driveway is full of newer shiney cars, someone almost always washing /cleaning one of them..
Their is my neighboor to my east who lives to mow, water and fertilize his lawn, over and over.Everyones yard looks so perfect,neat and trimmed.Are they living the American dream...? I go back to my yard, close the gate and look.
No manicured lawn, whats left of what grass i have left is weedy stuff i didn't even plant.I see three chicken coops, to my left is a 36 plant enclosed blueberry patch, next to that is a large 20yr old asparagus bed.On the western side of my 1 1/2 acres is a newer 2 yr ols asparagus bed of 200 plants.Scattered around the property are red heritage raspberries and multiple large wood piles of oak logs.I looking around wondering where i'm going to put the meat rabbit hutches i want next.
Way out back i just finished planting 2750 heads of garlic. German White,GermanRed, Music,Berkshire Hot and Romanian Red...I sell what i don't replant at a local chicken farm i work at part time..
One neighbor calls me a recluse, because i spend alot of time in my yard/gardens and am often alone.
Am i the odd one out..? Do my neighbors think everything is going to be rosey and fine once this terrible recession passes...? They think i'm weird/odd because i don't embrace the same values.I like my beat up old pick-up truck, i don't need or want a new one.
Are these folks so blind that they can't see the writing on the wall.Are they in total denial...?
What are they thinking...? A new swimming pool, more debt...i don't get it,how can they be so blind...?

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DuppyDo said:
Sometimes i stand out by the street and look at whats going on in my neighborhood.
One neighboor is breaking ground to put a inground swimming pool in. Another neighboors driveway is full of newer shiney cars, someone almost always washing /cleaning one of them..
Their is my neighboor to my east who lives to mow, water and fertilize his lawn, over and over.Everyones yard looks so perfect,neat and trimmed.Are they living the American dream...? I go back to my yard, close the gate and look.
No manicured lawn, whats left of what grass i have left is weedy stuff i didn't even plant.I see three chicken coops, to my left is a 36 plant enclosed blueberry patch, next to that is a large 20yr old asparagus bed.On the western side of my 1 1/2 acres is a newer 2 yr ols asparagus bed of 200 plants.Scattered around the property are red heritage raspberries and multiple large wood piles of oak logs.I looking around wondering where i'm going to put the meat rabbit hutches i want next.
Way out back i just finished planting 2750 heads of garlic. German White,GermanRed, Music,Berkshire Hot and Romanian Red...I sell what i don't replant at a local chicken farm i work at part time..
One neighbor calls me a recluse, because i spend alot of time in my yard/gardens and am often alone.
Am i the odd one out..? Do my neighbors think everything is going to be rosey and fine once this terrible recession passes...? They think i'm weird/odd because i don't embrace the same values.I like my beat up old pick-up truck, i don't need or want a new one.
Are these folks so blind that they can't see the writing on the wall.Are they in total denial...?
What are they thinking...? A new swimming pool, more debt...i don't get it,how can they be so blind...?
I'd be one to say that you are living more of a good life than they are, If I was your neighbor, I'd be living my life the same way you are - keeping to myself, raising my own food - NOT trying to keep up with the Jones's.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people out there that want to believe that everything is fine. If you still have your job, then more than likely, life is the same. I think most people don't want to see what is in front of them and keep holding on to the lifestyle that most have grown up with. When they finally wake up, it will be too late.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people out there that want to believe that everything is fine. If you still have your job, then more than likely, life is the same. I think most people don't want to see what is in front of them and keep holding on to the lifestyle that most have grown up with. When they finally wake up, it will be too late.
Very well put. :thumbsup

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I totally understand.

Each and everyday of living in this city I see something that leaves me appalled. Sometimes it is the young mother with a shopping cart heaped full of ready to eat garbage, yacking away on the cell phone and totally ignoring the toddler in the cart directly in front of her. The toddler that is SO used to that scene he isn't even trying to make contact with his mom.

Sometimes it is the people bustling out of a nearby mall arms full of shopping bags loudly discussing .."did you see what ____ was wearing!"

Sometimes it is the neighbor who has actually built a rig to roll around his yard so that his hedge can be maintained at just that perfect level and height.

Sometimes it is the high school student, complaining because his parents gave him a 2008 sports car instead of a 2010!

My most recent experience involves mashed potatoes. Remember how much you liked mashed potatoes as a kid? YUM!! Well the elementary kids these days won't even taste them! I don't think they ever see potatoes in a mashed form ... only tater tots and french frys. :(

What IS going to happen if/when the bottom falls out? :idunno

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wait!

2750 heads of garlic
wow! feel free to start a thread on this project.
;-)

as for the 'regular folks'... we kind laugh at the folks who move out to the country so they can have McMansions, huge yards that would easily feed their families it they werent all grass (that someone else mows), and then complain about the rooster sounds and the tractors on the road.

my message to them: go back to the 'burbs. please.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
...to each his or her own. But I know I am truly happy and just maybe I can rub off on other people as the world changes around us. :)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We have friends that built a McMansion about 8-9 years ago. I know for a fact their mortgage payment is 1500 per month. Since then, they added an in ground pool, heated of course, put in a hot tub, blacktopped the entire driveway, which is about 300 ft long not counting the two turn-arounds. His job has been precarious for the past 3-4 years, and she had to take a pay cut and was forced to start working at home. Neither one of them has a college degree. They also have a daughter in 4th grade. Add to that their TWO car payments, and I would be pulling my hair out trying to manage their debt load!!!

They think it is cute that we have chickens, a large garden, and that I built a greenhouse.

Cute will be when they show up on our doorstep begging for fresh lettuce, tomatoes, eggs or some of our canned goods.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, and inground pool COULD be an SS item....fresh water in case of supply line cut off....

:gig

Naaaa!!

Welcome to the weirdo squad :D