What are we doing to help our neighbors?

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Times are hard right now. The economy is down, the energy rates are up and people are just having a rough winter all around.

I know there are a lot of unsung heros on this forum. I would like to hear what little things you do to help your neighbor.

There is a story about a Michigan man who died because the electric company limited his electricity and he froze to death. The man lived in a town with a population of 30,000! The people are mad at the electric company but they should be looking at themselves. The man was 93 years old. The neighbors knew this.

In my little town in North Dakota we have rules. Unspoken rules, but rules just the same. You always watch out for your neighbors. Making sure the children and the elderly are cared for. Use the telephone to check on people, watch that their lights are on for part of the day. If the lights aren't on all day, you walk over and see if they haven't been hurt.

Times are so strange now. If you live in an apt building in a city, you don't even know your neighbors name, let alone if they need anything.

What do you do to help others in your community?

We gather wood for a woman who can't right now. We gather food supplies if a family is in need. We give away our old jackets or buy new for those who don't have any.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Right now, I plow the driveways for my 3 closest neighbors. Two of them are widow/widowers, and the other just has a rough go of it like everyone else. I also make sure the older ones are getting their mail/newspaper and we call pretty frequently to see if they need anything and just check up on them.
During the summer I till up their gardens and the wife and I help them get them planted and help keep the flower beds weeded, trees trimmed, etc. Also a good way to stay in touch with them and make sure they are still getting around OK. They both know to call if they need ANYTHING.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been taking groceries to local food bank, and I give my neighbors (mostly elderly on social security) eggs at no charge, I certainly could be doing more.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is what I mean.

We are self sufficient and we also have enough to give to others.

I love my new lifestyle. I am not worrying so much about just my family, I have branched out. I look to help when I can. Before becoming ss I felt I never had enough time to help. I worried about getting more "things". Now I worry about giving and helping people. Looking after the neighbors was one thing but doing things for them gives me a special lift.:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I always share my bounty with those less fortunate and the elderly....it just feels good and I will want someone to think of me when I'm down or older....or both!

My kids and I also participate in the firewood ministry at our church each year, which delivers to elderly, low income, or folks too sick to get their own wood.

And....in my daily life, as I move through my work day and social life, if I encounter someone who needs something that I have, I give it. It says in the Bible that we entertain angels unaware, and what you do for the least of these people (the poor, the needy, children), you do for Me.....so I try to always do what God would like for me to do.

This summer a lot of my excess eggs and veggies will be donated to the Christian Assistance Network in town, as well as given to my neighbors who can no longer garden.

Even if I never receive any kindness back, it is good for my own soul to give to others anyway....it feels right and good and it enriches me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Take food and clothes to a church food bank, give eggs from my ducks even though I don't have a ton yet, helped my next door neighbor wire her fence yesterday so the dog would stop escaping...LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't "look in" on any neighbors and such cause everyone around me is younger and doing their own thing with young families.....but I contribute by giving to less fortunate and helping my farmer friends if needed. Like if their tractor is down cause of repairs, we loan ours to them to use. Farming has a small window of time to plant, etc. and if someone needs to borrow equipment from each other we gladly do it.

But my MIL has older friends we give eggs and sausage too, etc. etc. We do our part to make sure those we know need help get it. So it is just acting on situations when we hear them and help where we can.

What any good person should do in these times and I have seen my friends help others many times over and still give even though they never have alot either. So it is a good situation in my circle of friends helping where we can.

Having a farm means no one in our earshot of needing help will ever go hungry. With our bounty from the fields and livestock....food is available.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I buy stuff at the grocery stores and drop off at the food bank everytime I go to the store. I asked what they needed and normally didn't get so get them cat food and baby formula as they said. They have lots of dog food but no one brings cat food......... Hmmmmmmm..................
I also walk my neighbor's little dog for her when she can't- her husband is confined to the house. But even though they thank me for it, it really is selfish of me because the dog is a blast to walk.
As for helping the elderly, that's me. :lol:

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
several years ago a neighbor man who was always a loner befriended my uncle. A couple years later the mailman called the police and my uncle when the mans mail hadnt been taken in after 3 days. Sure enough he had died but he had told my uncle where his will was and he took in the mans dog. The mail man knew he always took his mail in, if it hadnt been for him who knows how long it would have been.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have one neighbor who I am friendly with. They tend my hens wen I go out of town and I supply them with all the eggs they can eat. I give food to the church every holiday season for baskets they make and give away. I have several family members as well as my Mom who have chosen paths filled with challenges. I help them as much as I can. I taught my sister how to plant a garden a couple years ago. I think it was the best gift anyone could have given her.

Doesn't really sound like much. Hummm,,,