WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, it's not actually "canning" per se, but I bought a bunch of butter on sale (1.75 $/lb) and made a batch of ghee. That'll keep for years, unlike bottled butter, which I'm told goes rancid within a year. Or maybe not. Anyway, it was 7 lb butter and it produced 6.5 pt, which is 1.85 C/lb, not 1.5 C/lb which is the number I found on the interwebs. It took about 2 hours, start to finish, to cook the water out of almost a gallon of butter.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Greybear23 said:
Hi, kinda new here, what do you do with the soda pop syrup? How do you make it and what can it be used for? What flavors? Also how do you get pectin from the apples and how do you store it and use it? Sorry for all the questions, Lynn!!!! :cool:

Justme said:
Got about a gallon of salsa on the stove thickening right now. Also reducing a couple of quarts of blueberry juice which I'm gonna turn into soda pop syrup. And this morning I made a batch of pectin from the 100 or so June dropped apples.
Hopefully the salsa cooks down soon enough so I can water bath everything before my body says I gotta go to sleep tonight.
It's just sugar, water, and flavor. There's lots of folks making soda at home, so check the Google machine for suggestions.

BTW, making soda isn't really canning, so you should find a better thread for your question. I know there's a homebrew thread, but nothing recent on soda. Maybe you should start a new thread.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Greybear23 said:
Hi, kinda new here, what do you do with the soda pop syrup? How do you make it and what can it be used for? What flavors? Also how do you get pectin from the apples and how do you store it and use it? Sorry for all the questions, Lynn!!!! :cool:

Justme said:
Got about a gallon of salsa on the stove thickening right now. Also reducing a couple of quarts of blueberry juice which I'm gonna turn into soda pop syrup. And this morning I made a batch of pectin from the 100 or so June dropped apples.
Hopefully the salsa cooks down soon enough so I can water bath everything before my body says I gotta go to sleep tonight.
It's just sugar, water, and flavor. There's lots of folks making soda at home, so check the Google machine for suggestions.

BTW, making soda isn't really canning, so you should find a better thread for your question. I know there's a homebrew thread, but nothing recent on soda. Maybe you should start a new thread.
It may be just me but I found this response quite rude!!! i new to canning, yes, but I do have manners!!! I have seen other things on this site that wasn't strictly canning and see nothing wrong with sharing the way we do things to preserve and save money on stuff, so if it is strictly canning i guess I will go somewhere else to look for stuff and participate with people with better manners!!! Thanks for all the previous information from those whom cared enough to share!! Lynn

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree, it was rude. We have a few folks like that here, so please just ignore and roll on...we all do when they pipe a rudeness our way. Some folks just sound that way, some mean it, some do not but it isn't the norm, so I hope you will stay and play with those who aren't quite so....um...hard to "put up" with>>> pun intended! :gig

It's food, you want to preserve it...that pretty much means it fits right in on this thread. :thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think maybe the helpfullness was just lost in cyber translation and got turned into rude-ish-ness sounding, but I could be wrong, it has happened once a long time ago :p I think it'd be kinda silly to say in one post that something you were doing was "not canning per se" and then jump on someone else for the same thing in the very next post :lol:

A soda thread would be cool though :D

Oh and to my actually response I opened the thread for......I aint cannin nuthin today! It's too stankin HOT! Anyone else melting?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm feelin pretty good so long as I can come get cooled down ever so often.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I agree, it was rude. We have a few folks like that here, so please just ignore and roll on...we all do when they pipe a rudeness our way. Some folks just sound that way, some mean it, some do not but it isn't the norm, so I hope you will stay and play with those who aren't quite so....um...hard to "put up" with>>> pun intended! :gig

It's food, you want to preserve it...that pretty much means it fits right in on this thread. :thumbsup
Thank you for the response, I suppose I should also apologize for being somewhat rude in my remarks, I do enjoy this thread, and have received lots of good information from it, I shall carry on and do my best to contribute constructively henceforth!! Lynn

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apricot and apricot pineapple jam. Thanks to the neighbor that shared. My blossoms were taken by the frost this year and around the corner the trees are full go figure?:D