What are you fermenting today?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Made a batch of kraut today, from cabbage I grew myself. I have been making kraut for about a year, but only used purchased cabbage till now. Even tho I had stored the cabbage in the fridge for quite a while, I didn't need to add any water to the shredded cabbage and salt--first time for that. Guess fresh is juicier! (I do pound it down pretty thoroughly) My Dh is finally coming around to the idea of eating kraut with every dinner, and drinking kombucha, which he is asking for now. Progress!

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bought a carton of organic plain yogurt and set it up to drain the whey to make pickles. Now I have done this before with a brand my store quit carrying but with this one NO whey dripped out. I don't get it. Is there anything else that will yeild me some whey? I don't do kefir. I love my whey fermented foods and my cukes are coming like crazy. Help

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I posted in my journal but I'll add it here.

I started my first batch of fermented crock Dill pickles last weekend. I followed a recipe for the brine. For pickling spice, I put in juniper berries, rose hips, Dill, mustard seed, and smoked ancho pepper flakes.

I'm so excited to see how they turn out. The recipe for the brine said 2-6 weeks. That's kind of a wide spread. They're at a fairly constant 75°. I guess I'll just have to keep bothering them to taste test!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with fermentation being more sour in the hot weather?

My kombucha is very low ph lately and I've had to start diluting it with water or juice

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I've noticed that my ferments don't take as long but haven't particularly noticed they're more sour. Have you tried testing the kombucha a day earlier? :idunno

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes I can pull it earlier, but I dislike going less than 7 days as I get paranoid. It did this last summer as well. I end up using my ph meter a lot this time of year.

I'm just glad we only have 2 weeks left of summer.

Normally our hot, dry weather only lasts from July 5 through Labor day.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's it - I gotta move!

It usually rains 9+ months of the year. Mostly drizzle so it's cloudy a lot. We're just barely out of the Olympic Mountains rainshadow, but are at the foot of Mt Rainier and the Cascade Mountains so the clouds dump their water. We get about 66 inches a year. Seattle in the rainshadow is 38 I think. Forks is around 110.

Summer is any temp that is at 81 or higher. So it's normally cooler here. Winters are warmer than our latitude would be because of the Pacific currents and the Sound.