What are you making or fixing this spring?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got a spring project or a few? This is one of mine.

I’ve just about completed putting a new roof on this little garden shed. I’m using cedar shingles — a local product. I took this pic at the end of a work session. The job will be finished tomorrow, I expect.

Anyhow, started this thread to find out what others here are doing.

roof rebuild.JPG

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just finishing our new chicken coop/garden shed: adding perches, shoring up the hardware cloth, starting DL...
I put the first hens in last night. I'll probably put them all in tonight.
tmp_17862-IMG_20180428_190942-1199303093.jpg

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

I’ve just about completed putting a new roof on this little garden shed. I’m using cedar shingles — a local product. I took this pic at the end of a work session. The job will be finished tomorrow, I expect.

View attachment 7287

LOVE the looks of those on the large building next to your new shed...those are cedar siding shingles also, right? Your place is, as usual, very beautiful, Joel.

Got a few small projects that need doing...restoring/rebuilding an old Amish made glider, building a small replica of the same from a wooden youth bed for the girls, painting and restoring a small bedside stand/set of drawers for the girls.

Will also help my oldest son build a pallet playhouse and a pergola in his back yard. He wants to incorporate some natural elements by using logs with some branches intact for his support posts for that.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, Bee - those are cedar shingles on the little barn too. And I know you've always got fine & useful projects going. (Thanks for the complement about our place.)

This is the first serious use I've given to my reclaimed pressure tank, one of my 2017 projects...

View attachment 4986

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

View attachment 7287

Cedar Shakes.- Awesome! Did you split them of log cookies by yourself also?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cedar Shakes.- Awesome! Did you split them of log cookies by yourself also?
No, shingles. There used to be a small commercial sawmill operation about a 40-minute drive from my place — and they split shakes using a machine that was a sort of variation on a power hammer.

But while they were in business, I leaned toward saving money and split my own shakes using a fro & mallet. What you're calling "log cookies" we call "shake blocks" over here.

But then at a certain point I tried re-roofing a small building with commercially made sawn shingles, and I like the result better, due to the smoothness & more uniform taper of the shingles.

Latest posts