What cam I do with old panty hose?

RedheadErin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have to wear panty hose at work. Eventually they rip and I have to throw them out. Besides holding soap by the hose spigot, what are they good for?

Th fishnet kind are good for making finch feeders, BTW.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They are great for tying up tomatoes and other plants because they are soft and flexible enough to not rub or cut into the vines. They are great for insulation under your clothing in the winter time and great for pulling over your face and cutting out eyeholes for the same purpose...really keeps you warm.

If you want to vent your dryer inside to keep the heat where it will do the most good, you can cover the end with old pantyhose to prevent the lint from permeating the air and the room into which you are venting.

They are great to dispense grocery bags. They are even better for storing onions as you can tie each onion in its own little space all along the legs to give it air and to keep it from touching the other onions...then just cut an onion down each time you need one.

Great for covering a cast to keep it cleaner but still let air flow through.

Great for keeping bandages on a leg or arm.

I'll think of more later.... :p

Here...found this:

http://www.aboutmyplanet.com/daily-green-tips/interesting-pantyhose/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The only suggestion I had was about onions, and you beat me to it. :/

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome link, Bee! :D

I 've used them for making gallon amounts of herb teas...stuff all the herbs into s ection of hose, knotted end goes into the boiled water to steep, "loose/open" end it tied closed with a recycled twist tie and the twisty is hooked to the pot.

I've also used them to save tiny seeds that I want to keep from dispersing when the seed pods dry. Just cover the seed head with the hose, close around the stem with a twist tie and let the seed head dry.

They can also be used to make a sling to help with heavy fruits who's vines are growing up a fence or trellis.

RedheadErin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, good ideas! I seriously hate to throw them all out. Thanks!

kathyinmo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't know if you have chickens. :idunno I have lots of them. I use panty hose (cut off legs) when I dust them with poultry dust. Kinda like a powder puff.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you fish with live bait,make a grasshopper dozier to catch grasshoppers.Stretch the hose over a small frame which you make from small wooden sticks or wire.Drag it over grass and weeds to catch the 'hoppers.Their spiny legs get caught in the hose and they stay there until you pull them off.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Besides what are listed above They are really handy fpr wood finishing since they are pretty much lint free. Being a thrifty Bachelor I once made the mistake of asking the ladies at work to save them for me. Sure enought the word got back to me that I had an underwear fetish!~gd

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
~gd said:
Besides what are listed above They are really handy for wood finishing since they are pretty much lint free. Being a thrifty Bachelor I once made the mistake of asking the ladies at work to save them for me. Sure enough the word got back to me that I had an underwear fetish!~gd
:lol: :gig :lol: :gig

How do you use them for wood finishing?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
~gd said:
Besides what are listed above They are really handy for wood finishing since they are pretty much lint free. Being a thrifty Bachelor I once made the mistake of asking the ladies at work to save them for me. Sure enough the word got back to me that I had an underwear fetish!~gd
:lol: :gig :lol: :gig

How do you use them for wood finishing?
Well with boiled linseed oil they make great tack cloths for removing dust. I like to use 'wiping' finishes on decent wood. Things like hand rubbed oil, wiped varnish, all kinds of wax, oil, poly, varnish combos are wiped on and then excess wiped off. Staining is best done with a rag, even 'French polishing. About the only finish tool that gets more use is the spray gun. I use a rag way more than I do a brush. you can rag paint for some neat wall finishes too.