What can one do with a bunch of used roofing tiles?

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I recently came accross an ad on Craigslist for several pallets of free used roofing tiles. The only thing is... If I got them, what can I do with them? any ideas?

I was considering breaking them up and using them for pathways around uor property, but I don't know how well that would wrok out, or even look... I'd definately appreciate feedback and ideas!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Broken tiles would have sharp edges. Maybe leaving them whole and using them for garden/flower bed edging?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Garden edging and coop roof also came to mind for me. I wouldn't break them up.

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If they are the curved orange roofing tiles like in a mexican movie, I wouldn't break them up. That is terra cotta and the razor sharp edges last for decades. Dangerous for a walkway.

I like the idea of edging or a border. That could save you a lot of money.

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Use them to roof and re-sell: Dog houses. Bird houses. Chicken coops. If slate, build wood borders and sell as writing slates or memo boards- use a barn wood type frame.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hummh...wouldn't mind some myself...thinking I would use for out door steps up the the balcony...gets slippery in the winter...would have a bit of traction I would think

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
myzanya said:
hummh...wouldn't mind some myself...thinking I would use for out door steps up the the balcony...gets slippery in the winter...would have a bit of traction I would think
What a great idea!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
depends on what kind of roofing tile...
in the uk slate is used for roof, its flat and beautiful, use it for artwork, pathways, edging ect.
but from what little i know about CA, its got a more medeteranian spanish so therd be more likely to be red treacotta and curved, they make beautiful edging, toad/frog houses, upside down the curved ones when stacked
look realy cool...

http://artspacenh.org/portfolio/large/9E168BBB5A6A4DBCA06B10D24BEC31F8.jpg

my grandfather did something similar with curved spanish tile, smaller, and as he stacked he filled it with dirt so the dirt filled each tile hole too...he filled 1 sith straberries (1 plant per "hole") and another with herbs, they looked realy cool!

you do have to be carefull with broken ones though, teracotta is very sharp!