what could I put my homemade bread in?

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm giving jams,applebutter, and candy, and homemade bread for christmas gifts, what would be a cheap, but pretty way to wrap my bread in. My only 2 ideas were having my 5 yo color on some wax paper or just wrapping it in christmas paper. Any ideas?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I vote for the clear or colored cellophane with a pretty ribbon! Cheap and pretty!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grocery store sells bread bags in the baggie section for a couple of dollars, they come with a tie, but I would wrap with a Christmas themed ribbon as others suggested. Also if you ask the bakery dept they sometimes will give you some of the bread bags with the breathing holes to keep your crust nice. I also around the holidays buy the decorated wax paper to wrap my caramels in and also the Christmas themed saran wrap to do the cookie plates with.
How I package or wrap a gift or food item is one of my quilty pleasures and I love to make things look nice.

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well I am not into all the decorative christmas wrapping paper. Every year I wrap presents in Plain ol Brown wrapping paper tied with red raffia stufff. gives a old timed look, to go aolng with my christmas tree decorations. I like simple, I don't like all the busy colors. Maybe I could just stick to what I know. So does the bread bag have to have holes for ventilation? Store baught bread dosnt. btw im shipping my gifts to Fl. it usually takes 4-5 days for a package to arrive, reckon the bread will be ok? thanks ya'll.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My bread starts to mold after 4 or 5 days. (No preservatives in that homemade bread.)
I am not sure how it would hold up with a 5 day ship time.
I was planning on making bread for a few of my local friends and relatives but could not figure out how to make it work out unless I made the bread the day before I gave it to them.
I was going to ask everyone how they stored their bread to make it last the longest. Maybe we can both get our answers.

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
really? Moldy after 4-5 days? Well I made bread last week(Sunday), 4 loaves at a time , froze one, gave one to next door neighbors, started eating one, put what was left of that one in a freezer bag in the fridge and put the last one in a freezer bag and put it in the fridge also, we just finshed the bread last night. Mine was fine. Is it because of the fridge?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it may mold before they get a chance to use it. About the bread bags holes are only for serving it fresh to keep the crust crisp not get soft from being sealed (not recommended for shelf life, I thought you were serving/giving right away) What about putting the bread or homemade pancake ingredients in a mason jar with the recipe for making it (like those cute layered ingredient jarred gifts) That may make the trip better. My kids just made for my mom a jar gift for risotto with all the pretty layers. Either way they will love the gift you are giving them. Good Luck!

here is a website that has cute jar recipes http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/gifts/bread-mixes.htm also you can go to their home page for more creative and simple ideas.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
TX Honky said:
really? Moldy after 4-5 days? Well I made bread last week(Sunday), 4 loaves at a time , froze one, gave one to next door neighbors, started eating one, put what was left of that one in a freezer bag in the fridge and put the last one in a freezer bag and put it in the fridge also, we just finshed the bread last night. Mine was fine. Is it because of the fridge?
Yes it is because of the fridge.
My family does not like cold bread for sandwiches. So it stays out. I do keep some in the fridge and some in the freezer for toast or to heat with garlic butter to serve with meals but for daily sliced bread consumption - its on the counter like store bought. Already sliced and ready to use.