What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe you can pressure cook them or make broth?
Hope I can at least do that. Dang! A waste of 15lbs of poultry!

Bon appetite!
20220813_155904.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did nothing today in the garden. With a whole day of rain yesterday, my grass was scream at me. So cut the grass in 1 acre. My behind fell numb and that. Let the girls and quackies out for about 3 hours. Put them back, showered and ready to hit the sack!
Might need help with this counting back in spring. Not good at math at all if it is not 1+1,lol I was reading up on the gandules. It say it gets mature at 100 days. It does not like any cold weather. Hope I an pick your minds for help. I wish I could do bananas, plaintains,mangoes, quenepas and soursop. Same with other root veggies that I like but the timing I am afraid of not getting.
I love Michigan, I just miss my beloved food from home!

Screenshot_20220814-183644_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-183710_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-183930_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184104_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184220_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184327_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184345_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184440_Chrome.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found sprinkling Epsom salts around the tomatoes stopped the blossom end rot

interesting, but be aware that while it might be ok for tomatoes or peppers it can have adverse effects on other garden plants (if you use too much). for example beans don't seem to like it (i've not used it much at all here).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My first planting of the Purple Dove bush green beans did well and I was able to save some seed after eating fresh and canning some. Planted some climbers later and they did nothing. Just like the limas. They grew well, flowered well, and never made a mature bean. I think it was too hot by the time I got them in the ground. Even my black-eye peas, that are supposed to love hot and dry, didn't love hot and dry.

I've got hopes for the fall. :fl I actually enjoy fall/winter gardening much more than spring/summer.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My first planting of the Purple Dove bush green beans did well and I was able to save some seed after eating fresh and canning some. Planted some climbers later and they did nothing. Just like the limas. They grew well, flowered well, and never made a mature bean. I think it was too hot by the time I got them in the ground. Even my black-eye peas, that are supposed to love hot and dry, didn't love hot and dry.

I've got hopes for the fall. :fl I actually enjoy fall/winter gardening much more than spring/summer.
I'm going to direct sow peas here within the next week. Couldn't get the variety I wanted so settled for 60 day little marvel. Should put harvest sometime near the end October, to middle of November.

I've had this old song stuck in my head big part of the day. Has been some beautiful days this week.

Very firsts that I found that were ready to be picked. There's quite a few out there that need more time on the vine.
IMG_20220818_211254592~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My first planting of the Purple Dove bush green beans did well and I was able to save some seed after eating fresh and canning some.

i'm glad they worked out for you, they've always done well for me here. and also good to know you have a supply of seeds, but if you need more in the future i should alway have some as we've grown them every year since i first got them. i probably have a few thousand of these plants out there now with pods on them (i can't find any interesting crosses if i don't plant enough seeds :) - yeah, that's my excuse, besides the point that i like to eat them so it's good to have more planted out there than i can pick from to eat fresh beans).

Planted some climbers later and they did nothing. Just like the limas. They grew well, flowered well, and never made a mature bean. I think it was too hot by the time I got them in the ground. Even my black-eye peas, that are supposed to love hot and dry, didn't love hot and dry.

:(

i sure can get a lot more done once it starts cooling off a little more. these past week mornings have been much more tolerable that it's nice that i can get back outside - at this point of the season even an extra hour a day makes up for a lot because many of the gardens aren't too bad now that the plants are shading the ground and not as many weeds can get going.