What did you do in your orchard today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Let's see how we did at bark grafting a peach root sucker from 9 days ago.
Screenshot_20240319_181446_Gallery.jpg

Might be hard to tell but I see bud break on all three grafted scion tips. I prefer to graft tips. The variety is contender on a unknown root stock. Looks like tank and I did a good job. Happy to have the original fallen tree put back together. Even jack cat approves👍
Screenshot_20240319_181532_Gallery.jpg

I called fedco today and let them know my mazzard cherry rootstocks and scions got held up in Nebraska, they were supposed to be here Saturday. Why in the world my package went from Maine to Nebraska is a mystery. I can only hope they arrive viable.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fedco order came today.

Tank was excite to walk to the mail box. The package didn't quite fit, no time to pull up the drive, I guess. Our mail lady is the world champion mail box stuffer. What's better than a postal rubber band to keep the door closed? :)
Screenshot_20240321_152150_Gallery.jpg

Fedco did a good job wrapping the roots in moist shredded news paper. All the mazzard (cherry) rootstocks broke bud during shipment and are yellow from no sunlight, but that's OK. Atleast I know they didn't get cooked in the back of a truck and are all viable. Fedco sent me some really nice root stocks 👍
Screenshot_20240321_152250_Gallery.jpg

Roots need a good soak so the bark will slip when I bark graft them. I've not tried to graft cherry before, but my studies tell me bud and bark grafts are the most successful for cheries, at this young of an age. Tank is really eager to get started grafting but he's gonna have to be patient.
Screenshot_20240321_152427_Gallery.jpg

Here is info page about fedco trees and some simple drawing illustrations on two differnt grafting techniques.
Screenshot_20240321_152526_Gallery.jpg

Glad my order finally made it. Tank and I will most likely be grafting this evening, depending on rootstock hydration.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mazzard root stocks are grafted with 2 each of 5 differnt varieties of cherry. Fedco sent some nice mazzard rootstocks, with plenty enough roots to grow my own rootstocks from root cuttings. It's better to have too many roots than not enough. I'll pot them tomorrow, the treecoat will be dry by then.
Screenshot_20240321_222755_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So tank agreed with me that the fedco mazzard rootstocks needed trimming to fit into our coffee can pots. Tank also agreed instead of chewing up the root cutting, let's pot them and see if they grow into new mazzard rootstocks. Even though he initially agreed, I had to help him control the urge to chew them up instead.

Just a couple of easy guidelines to follow...

1) The trimmed roots should be cut to 3" to 4" lengths.
2) Make sure you keep track of the orientation of the cuttings. The part that faces the host is the top of the cutting.
3) Push the bottom of the root cutting into a good mix of loose soil.
4) Cover the tops of the root cuttings with about 2"inches of good loose soil.
5) Label and date the pot so you kmow what it is later.

Fedco massive roots on their mazzard root stocks, very happy with my order :thumbsup
Screenshot_20240322_115539_Gallery.jpg

Cut root into 3 to 4 inch lengths, left is the top that faced the host plant.
Screenshot_20240322_115855_Gallery.jpg

Make a hole and and push the bottom of the root cutting into the soil. Here you can see the fresh cut tops sticking out of the soil a little bit. If they all take I'll have a lot of free mazzard root stock to graft next year.
Screenshot_20240322_120357_Gallery.jpg

Next cover the tops of the root cuttings with about 2" of good loose soil. Then tag the pot, I used the fedco label that came with the rootstocks.
Screenshot_20240322_120625_Gallery.jpg

The ones that take in several weeks, will get their own individual pot and I'll baby sit them throughout the growing season.

That's about it, I hope everyone has a blessed rest of the day ❤️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Late winter early spring grafting is complete :)

My daughter in law and I grafted the last of the air-layered M111 rootstocks last night. She grafted 2 brandywine crabs (scions from fedco) a pink lady and a golden delicious (scions harvested from our orchard mid February). I grafted 2 brandy wine crabs for FB.

Screenshot_20240323_104357_Gallery.jpg

More info on brandy wine crabapple

Here's most of the new tree grafts from this year.
Screenshot_20240323_104919_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planted my mother in laws peach that I grafted last year into the orchard today. We have no idea the variety, so I'm calling it Marge Peach, after my mother in law's name. Hopefully it'll grow and be something for the family to remember her by.
Screenshot_20240325_190517_Gallery.jpg