What did you do in your orchard today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No spray pears.

Southern Bartlet
Screenshot_20240610_164704_Gallery.jpg

Not 100% sure the variety of this desert pear. I suspect some type of comice.
Screenshot_20240610_164618_Gallery.jpg

Are they perfect? Nope, not at all. But hopefully they will be good clean food to eat once ripe.

Jesus is Lord and ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a north star graft die, thanks to cicada egg laying :rolleyes:. So I regrafted it and I gave me a single cherry treat. I suppose that may have been a thank you treat?
Screenshot_20240605_191458_Gallery.jpg

Northstar is a naturally occurring dwarf. I put the scion on mazzard rootstock which grows a full size cherry tree. Hopefully it'll grow like crazy and still remain a dwarf with well ancorded roots. IDK...

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So tank agreed with me that the fedco mazzard rootstocks needed trimming to fit into our coffee can pots. Tank also agreed instead of chewing up the root cutting, let's pot them and see if they grow into new mazzard rootstocks. Even though he initially agreed, I had to help him control the urge to chew them up instead.

Just a couple of easy guidelines to follow...

1) The trimmed roots should be cut to 3" to 4" lengths.
2) Make sure you keep track of the orientation of the cuttings. The part that faces the host is the top of the cutting.
3) Push the bottom of the root cutting into a good mix of loose soil.
4) Cover the tops of the root cuttings with about 2"inches of good loose soil.
5) Label and date the pot so you kmow what it is later.

Fedco massive roots on their mazzard root stocks, very happy with my order :thumbsup
View attachment 25778

Cut root into 3 to 4 inch lengths, left is the top that faced the host plant.
View attachment 25779

Make a hole and and push the bottom of the root cutting into the soil. Here you can see the fresh cut tops sticking out of the soil a little bit. If they all take I'll have a lot of free mazzard root stock to graft next year.
View attachment 25780

Next cover the tops of the root cuttings with about 2" of good loose soil. Then tag the pot, I used the fedco label that came with the rootstocks.
View attachment 25781

The ones that take in several weeks, will get their own individual pot and I'll baby sit them throughout the growing season.

That's about it, I hope everyone has a blessed rest of the day ❤️

This is what resulted from my attempt at growing mazzard root cuttings. A single mazzard cherry root stock. One is better than none isn't it? :) When I pull it out of the pot I'll examine it. I'll learn why it grew and the other root cuttings didn't. I have my suspicions... but need to verify.
Screenshot_20240620_163636_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I watched this air-layer silent video.

And it made me remember to water my ten MM111 apple air-layer attempts, I sarted the beginning of May. I only un-wrapped the aluminum foil from one and roots were sticking out of the rooting ball seam. I watered it along with the other nine. I'll let them go until August, then decide if I will pot the takers for next year's grafting.
Screenshot_20240624_124819_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All of my golden delicious apple trees caught CAR (Cedar Apple Rust). I may have to get hard core spraying them next year at bud break. Seems copper is the organic go to for CAR. Another alternative is to remove all my eastern red cedars that I like so much (ain't gonna happen). Last resort is spray the apple trees with myclobutanil (Immunox) or pyraclostrobin (Bonide) as directed per label.​

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Early spring i pruned the peach trees, to produce new wood. Peaches blooms on last seasons wood, so they get a lot of pruning. They took off putting on new wood, then the cicadas came. It seemed like every day for weeks, I would walk to orchard with pruners in my back pocket, to prune off what the cicadas had killed. But post 2024 cicada, the peach trees are finally starting to heal and grow again. The aprocoits and plums haven't recovered yet but they are still alive just not putting on new wood yet.

This is a red haven peach, it looked pathetic a few weeks ago.
Screenshot_20240629_195535_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First redhaven peach. My timing was a bit off with spray and it developed a few spots of scab, otherwise clean. I'm learning as I go. I wanted to pull this one before it splits.

Hopefully you can see where it would split, after the next soaking rain.
Screenshot_20240720_123944_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240720_124017_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: