What did you do to further community today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Amen Rhoda, cooperation is a good thing :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a very inspiring thread :)

My two daughters and I each volunteer weekly as leaders (my daughters are Jr. Leaders) with Girl Guides of Canada (like Girl Scouts in the US), planning activities/crafts/field trips/special visitors and camps--we enjoy the organization and the friends we have made, and have also enjoyed watching girls learn leadership and life skills over the years we have been involved with GGC. GGC has a strong volunteer and community service component and we have taken our units to volunteer packing food hampers at the Food Bank, to do various chores at the Women's Shelter (for victims of domestic violence) and the two main homeless shelters in our city, and have done many bottle and food drives for various organizations. My hubs also volunteers with Guides where he can, every year I organize a "Dad and Daughter" evening with my Guides and my hubs makes up birdhouse kits for the girls to build with the help of their Dads (or Grandpas).

Through our church and our kids' Youth Group with which hubs and I volunteer we have gone on a few missions trips, we have done various acts of local community service and fundraising in our own city, and we have helped to prepare and serve meals at the local homeless shelters. Our church takes part in a ministry called Inn From the Cold where homeless people are bussed to participating churches to spend the night, and people in our church volunteer once a month to help prepare and serve dinner and breakfast to the guests, help the kids with homework (always so heartbreaking to see how many families come each month), supervise the shower room, and take turns keeping watch at night.

We try to give back as much as possible, I know I haven't listed half of what we do in a typical year, but our family is pretty devoted to volunteerism--and it is so great to read that others on here are so giving of their time and resources to help others less fortunate :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's awesome moolie!!

DH and I gave up our concert tickets last night to DD and R, and sent them out to eat with G and his little girl that we bought tickets for before the concert. They all had a BLAST!!! They got to see Sanctus Real, Unspoken, JJ Heller, and some other band(I forget who). We gave them extra cash for t shirts or whatever. It was a blessing to see them have such a good time. R has worked so hard around here, he deserved a good night out :)