What did you plant today?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Thought this would be a good thread to have for those that are just starting to garden. I figure we can post what zone we're in, and what we planted, transplanted or whatever.

I'm in zone 7. I got started over the weekend. This year, I'm trying to plant by the phases of the moon. And, it was the right time for starting seeds. So, I got several different types of peppers, eggplants and tomatoes started. I have them in my basement on a grow mat. Since I started them in old egg cartons, I have plastic wrap on top to keep the moisture in.

I also have some artichoke seeds. I had room for 6 more seeds, so I put them in the one tray. If they do anything, I'll try planting them in my flower garden.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I "planted" my 2 young pigs in the last 30X30 of my planned garden -- does that count? :rolleyes: They have been getting rid of all the grass roots for me and should have this done in less than 2 weeks. THEN, they move to another field, and I can till for planting.

Hope to start plants this week, all seeds & containers ready. We had a couple days of cold with 17 degrees one morning! Then back to more normal temps. Should be over any more heavy cold so I should be able to set cabbage, broccoli, peas, etc. soon as girls finish.

Good thread idea. We've all been chompin at the bit for Spring gardens! I just crave a garden ripe tomato!!:drool

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I "planted" a few fence posts yesterday. (Too early to plant in the Pocono Mountains. [Zone 6a]) I like to let my chickens free range, but I don't like them in the front yard or on the front porch (I'm constantly cleaning poop from the porch), so I am trying to confine them to the field in back of the house.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They worked at this part, behind their hut......go girls!:cool:
At this rate, maybe only one week. They are getting grass roots...and a cool hole to lay in....:lol: One day!
pigs plow.JPG

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted tomatoes-A LOT of tomatoes, 5 varieties. I planted 2 varieties of eggplant, orange bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, jalepeno pepper and marigolds. The garden tub in the master bedroom is full of Styrofoam cups with a fluorescent light over it. It truly is a GARDEN tub! :lol: I also have flats on the screened porch that will go out in the day and come in at night. Pigs go to slaughter March 18, then I have to get the garden in order so I can plant.

For my potting soil I used sheep manure mixed half and half with sand. I have lots of both. ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have things coming up already!

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I started my herbs last weekend and already have tiny green things hehehe. I started my ancho, cayenne and green bell peppers as well as 5 heirloom tomato varieties and a store bought Roma tomato that in the years to come will hopefully become my own little heirloom :)

P.S. I'm willing to trade heirloom seeds saved at the end of the year for some heirloom cherry or grape tomatoes for next year. My kiddo eats them like candy when I have em

Last edited:

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh I also bought some strawberry plants at my local walmart. Allstar June-bearing and Quinalt ever-bearing. And I bout peed myself when I saw lily of the valley roots! From what my grandma always said they are practically extinct here so I grabbed a 3root bag and put it in a small pot till spring really gets going