What direction to go with sheep flock?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm at a point where I need to decide what direction to take my flock.

I have 6 breeding ewes and 2 lambs. They're dual purpose mixed breed, white face, white wool. We started with 2 ewes, 1 ram. I've only sold one lamb in the past - at a swap meet for not enough money. This year my head count so far is 9 to sell and 2 to butcher.

My pasture has supported 200 sheep, with a previous landowner/farmer. I believe it's 35 acres of pasture, plus can rent from the neighbor(s), can convert 15 or so acres from rented crop land to pasture. We also have another 35 ish acres of rented cropland that could become pasture if it made financial sense.

1) I have some tame ewes, and very much enjoy a small flock of pet ewes.

2) I'd like to make some money, possibly transition into sheep production?

3) DH wants a closed flock

4) I'm interested in totally hands-off pasture raised animals. Which contradicts #1 and forces a decision

5) I don't have any kind of handling system or chutes.

6) I can't drive a tractor. Heck, I can't drive a lawn mower, but I keep trying and might figure that out? We have a tractor, DH runs it.

7) We don't have a livestock trailer.... no idea how we're going to get animals to auction.

I'm 33, disabled - trouble with temperature extremes and temperature changes, but quite able when the stars align. DH is 41, veterinarian, ouchy knees.

What direction do you think we should go? What would you do?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's tough... I don't know much about sheep so I'm not a lot of help. But, can you put in some chutes to make things easier? I once made a chute from hog panels. In order for the goats to come in from the pasture to eat they had to go through the chute. I had gates inside that could be closed to portion off the chute into smaller sections and eventually tapering down to an area that would hold one goat at a time. It helped that I already had an existing fence that I built it up against. It became second nature for them to go through it. And, I only closed it up when I needed to do something with/to them but it wasn't so often that they got chute shy. Maybe you could do the same kinda thing with stock panels?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1.Do you want a commercial (mixed breed) flock or a registered flock?
2.Who are your customers?
3. What is your market area?
4.Do you sell slaughtered lamb meat?
5.Do you sell live lambs and at what age?
6.What breed do you want?
7.Wool breed or hair sheep?
8. What does lamb meat sell for per pound in your area?
9.What is the price of live commercial lambs and at what age?
10.What is the price of registered lambs and at what age?

I have a mixed hair sheep flock, Dorper/Katahdin. So far I have sold slaughtered lambs for $10 a pound, wrapped and frozen. What I want is to move into a registered Katahdin flock. I have 4 breeding ewes, 3 that are ready to breed and 2 from this year's lambing that I am keeping. I call them my learner flock. I love my sheep!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
1. Mixed breed / commercial. I can't afford to start over with purebred or show stock.
2. Local livestock auction has a sheep/lamb pool once a month.
3. Uhhh.... there is a Muslim/Somali community about 10 miles away?
4. No
5. I need to call the livestock auction place for advice about what age/size.
6. Ile de France is a common breed around here. Some of mine are part that. Merino can't handle our weather, but mine are part merino and my ram has nice wool.
7. Wool sheep I guess?? DH didn't seem interested in switching to hair sheep. We aren't set up for keeping fleeces clean. They're pretty much junk.
8. I've never seen lamb meat in my area or in the nearest city (pop. 60K). There is a specialty meat place that sells grass fed lamb, and ships it nationwide. I have looked into USDA certified grass fed, it doesn't look to be a difficult certification, and it's not expensive for flocks <99 ewes. But, if our market is just the lamb pool, I don't know if there is financial incentive.
9. IDK, from what I'm reading it online it's fairly unpredictable. $0.60/lb live weight one day, $1.15/pound literally the next day at the same auction site. I have read that prices are higher before Eastern Orthodox and Muslim holidays, but since we're more grassfed than drylot, I don't know that we could ever take advantage of the seasonal spikes.
10. Unregistered mixed breed bottle lambs have been running $100 - $150 the last few years. Mixed breed or unregistered ewes running $200 - $250.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I could try selling at farmer's markets, but would need to figure out how to haul and power a freezer. I would also be able to sell eggs and any excess produce. (Did I mention blueberries?) We can sell certain canned items under my state's cottage industry laws. I am not certain that I can keep a steady flow of products for a farmer's market, or if it would be worth the hassle.

In my town, there are Amish who set up a tent for a bake sale (not technically legal, but hey, small town). People sell berries out of a pickup truck, etc. DH's vet clinic is right on the Main Street with good access, so that gives another option.

I can sell eggs on a delivery route (or on the farm, no thank you). So I could deliver meat potentially too. If anyone wants it?! IDK, maybe in the neighboring town with the mosque? I don't know how to even start that conversation or with whom. I have heard that the "ethnic" market is likely to buy an animal live to butcher according to their customs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A lot to learn. Your market is first, otherwise no sales. Some ethnics DO have a method of butcher that is swift and humane. They want animals intact, with horns -- in other words never fouled. They do such with other animals, chickens for instance, to meet the requirements of their beliefs. Fresh butcher, clean, prepare, eat. That is their way. I have been only slightly involved with it, Halal, I believe.

Agree with FEM about the chute. I used similar when I ran a large herd of meat goats. Holding area, then out thru the chute -- a "fence tunnel". I used some drop down dividers to stop them & contain for shots, meds, etc. if needed. They never became wary of it. Worked well.

You may want to consider a certain day that you would be at the parking lot of the clinic to have locals pick up their orders? Any eggs, meats, veg, berries. It would limit your own needs to be at various markets. Maybe establish another location to be in another town when you wanted to expand. As to transport...small freezer, dry ice, already frozen meats may be an option. Otherwise costs will be pretty good sized.
Some places rent horse trailers...just like uhaul. Otherwise, find a "local" with a stock trailer.

I would think a lot may depend on how DH feels about it all. After all, there was a huge amount of time & $$ to become a vet and a farming operation does require some devoted time. Can't believe he's ready to give up his profession to sell sheep. Supportive, you bet. Alas, could be wrong.

Also, you could grow the pick ur own berries. That's started and a once a year event, a month or two, of people with which to contend. But, you may be able to also build a customer base of local stores, restaurants, etc.

Just thoughts. Sounds exciting. Keep us updated. :caf

I've never raised sheep but, know that I would sure want LGDs and also Border Collies to herd! That would be your saving grace to handle them, those herders are awesome to watch and as important for herd management & movement as the LGDs are for protection. Now, you would have to be very, very well trained to keep the dogs interactions controlled. I've been to farms where they could not let herder crew and guard crew out together. I can see the issues that could arise. They each have a job and a place.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I find the local food market more in line with my values than selling feeder lambs or livestock auction. Y'all don't realize the fire you are lighting under me!

There is a local food co-op about 15 miles away. I don't see my items listed in their suppliers list. Hopefully not because there's no market for them! I emailed them.

There is a Menonnite bulk goods store about 10 miles away that also has frozen food, deli, local foods, and farmers market. I emailed them asking about farmer's market.

Also asked for vendor guidelines for 2 area farmers markets.

Bonus: all the farmer's markets are on different days. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You already have customers! Your husband's vet clinic is a gold mine. What would be wrong with doing a mail out or email a flyer to his clients about your and his new venture; lamb, eggs, produce, etc in the parking lot on a certain day each week during the growing season? Then you can cultivate customers from there.

We started selling eggs to help cover the feed. I'm basically losing money, but an egg customer bought half a hog and then wanted a whole hog. I'm raising 2 right now. I got a text from egg/hog customer that his sister wants half a hog! So now I have 2 hog customers! We take them to slaughter, pick up the meat, and deliver. Since the USDA inspected slaughter house doesn't cure hams or do bacon, I brine, smoke, slice, package and freeze the bacon. I actually make money on the pigs.

My point is, you gain a customer, then they buy more products from you. Figure out what you make money on and go for more.

I sell lambs as slaughtered meat, whole or half lambs. This year, I didn't cut the ram lambs. I am going to run ads on Craigslist for the rams (3) and the 1 ewe lamb that I don't want to keep, when I wean them. If they don't sell, then I'll sell them as meat.

Mention to people that you have a farm, raise and sell _________. fill in the blank. Ask if they are interested in buying wholesome, farm raised ________. You have customers out there, all you have to do is find them. EVERYBODY EATS.