What do I do with 6lbs of tomatoes!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I went to the farmers market and boldly asked for a deal on seconds and a couple vendors were kind enough to indulge me :weee

I got 6 lbs of maters for $6 vs the $15 it would have cost.

I also got 3 lbs of fat little pickling cukes for $3 instead of $6 (which will make 3 jars of refrigerator pickles)

There was one guy who had tiny little squash that Hubby wanted with dinner tonight, so I chose a bag and then told the vendor that I was practicing my canning skills and did he have an seconds he would sell at a discount? He said 'no, but later in the season I will, so be sure to come back!' then I took a huge handful (1 1/2 pounds easy) of little French green beans and shoved them into my baby squash bag.....and said 'these are on me, enjoy!' :woot bonus!

So, thank you everyone who told me to sprout a back bone and ask for seconds for canning! I had a great response and no one was rude or flat out said no....the ones who said no simply said they didn't have anything this week. :thumbsup

So now.....I'd like to make a sauce out of my maters....for pasta or pizza. Do I have enough for a couple of jars? Or should I pop them into the freezer till I get more?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:woot Nice job - I think someone said it, the worst that could have happened is that they would say no!

We're out of homemade pizza sauce. That would be on the top of my list.....

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd blanch and peel then cook them up now. You can jar it up, pop them in the freezer for stewed tomatoes, casseroles, soups whatever later. I hated the taste of tomatoes frozen whole.

But first, get the bacon cooking and eat lots of BLT's! Or tomatoes stuffed with tuna salad. Or plates of sliced tomatoes with whatever you want on top. Or salsa, and you can freeze that, too.

Oh man, I'm jealous....I have 6 little green tomatoes on my plants so far, so it's a long wait...

Sounds like you had a great day at the market!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whoo hoo good for you!!!!

Your making connections. That's great. :thumbsup

6 lbs is a good amount. Not sure if it would be worth canning a sauce. Maybe practice your canning recipe by making a fresh sauce but using it now??

:idunno

When I have odd amount I usually dice and water bath hem. For sauce I want to do as much as I can at once.

Great job!!!

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What fresh herbs do you have? If you have oregano and basil, I say spaghetti or pizza sauce :D.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

I guess I will search up a few pizza sauce recipes...at least those can be canned in smaller jars.

I don't want to eat them because to be honest they are a little banged up AND I have some beauties form my CSA that take center stage as fresh eating!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ugh.

Searching for recipes I read that 40 lbs of tomatoes turns into 8 pints of sauce :th

Where am I going to get 40 lbs of tomatoes?

If I put these 6lbs in the freezer, won't they keep until I accumulate more?
Or I can just make up a test mini batch as Tanks suggested to test out the recipe.