What do Turnip Greens Taste Like?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I dislike turnips but thought I might try growing the Seven Top Turnip greens this year. I hate beets, yet love beet greens so I wonder if I may have a similar experience with turnip greens.
Could someone describe what turnip greens taste like?

Are there recipes for using them beyond just boiled/steamed greens?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ok since no one else will say it... they taste like.. TURNIP GREENS!

hee hee hee

no really.. ahem.. so i love all greens so i like 'em. see this guys site... at the bottom of this post he talks about how to:
http://www.laughingowlfarm.com/2010/farming/cold/

i like mine still tender crunchy so i saute on high heat for just a few mins.

:)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like mine with a kick of crushed red pepper, a little garlic & salt, cooked in broth with a little dab of bacon grease or a slice or two of bacon.

The smaller leaves are less strong, like with other greens. They do have a similar taste to other greens, so if you like greens in general, you should like them.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Ok, I ordered the seeds. :fl If they taste anywhere between kale and chard I'm sure I will like them.
I love greens and want to incorporate more into my diet.

I also want to dry greens to create my own super-green supplement that go for $$$ per container for winter smoothies.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I like mine with a kick of crushed red pepper, a little garlic & salt, cooked in broth with a little dab of bacon grease or a slice or two of bacon.

The smaller leaves are less strong, like with other greens. They do have a similar taste to other greens, so if you like greens in general, you should like them.
Crushed pepper is one of my favorite seasonings! My usual plate of spagetti looks like I have a couple noodles under a complete layer of crushed pepper. :p
I will try that recipe with an olive oil tweak. Thanks!