What do you do with milk crates?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I picked up 5 of the plastic milk crates that hold 4 of the milk jugs on the side of the road last night. I know they'll be good for something, I just don't know what. So what do you use them for?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, besides the obvious of storing stuff in them, stacked in a corner of the garage or cellar....

You can tie two together by their tops, put a carpet scrap in it, and use it as a small pet carrier.

I lined two with hardware cloth to keep mice out, and aged cheddar in them in my cellar until it got too warm. Now they have acorns in them to experiment with feeding them to the hens this winter.

They can go over tender plants in early spring and late fall, with plastic taped or tied to them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What can't you do with milk crates? :D I've used them for nearly everything in my life at some time or other......

Car/tool organizer
step stool
chicken nest
handy seat in the coop to watch the chickens
carry anything to anywhere~gardening/orchard/clean out coop
Nail to a wall in a row, opening facing outward for handy organization above work station in shed, office, barn, etc.
Fasten to wall of stall in which to hold bottle for bottle calf/lamb/goat....just stick teat out one of the holes in the bottom and wedge bottle in crate/tie in, etc.

I :love milk crates and never turn one down. I even have the older metal ones.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I picked up 5 of the plastic milk crates that hold 4 of the milk jugs on the side of the road last night. I know they'll be good for something, I just don't know what. So what do you use them for?
You send them to girls named Okiegirl!!! :clap :plbb

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Milk crates are gold. I know that milk producers have a real problem with people stealing them because they are so useful but I have two- one from a closed dairy but one that I probably shouldn't have. Some one gave it to me. I feel guilty but still use it.
They are great step ladders, mounting blocks, good for growing veggies, I use them under troughs to raise them to the right level- they are constantly in use. I've seen them as nesting boxes.
I actually bought some one time but they were wimpy reproductions that never held up to the hard use that real ones can stand.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use my two for picking plums, apples and potatoes, tomatoes whatever won't fall through the little holes. Now they are upside down being used to hold the water feeders in the chicken coop for winter. So many uses, so few crates... :barnie

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use one that sits by the trash, we put our old magazines and newpapers in it and when it is full take it and dump it in the recycle bin.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used a bunch once wired together to make a shelving unit/entertainment center(back when I was single lol).

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I love milk crates.

For totin', haulin', storin', stackin', whatever.

They even make nifty shelves if you have boards to go between them. Ya know, place 2 crates board length apart, put board on top, place 2 crates on that and so on.