What do you do with your brown paper bags?

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
We have started shopping at a local family owned grocery store for most of our food and they use only brown paper sacks.
I have been saving them, b/c I don't want to just throw them out if they can be used, but I don't know what to use them for.

Anyone know how I can put them to good use rather than throwing them away?

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They are excellent for draining grease off of fried foods. My mama would put french fries in one and roll the end shut and put it in a low oven to keep the fries warm. When I was in grade school I covered my books with them.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
What a good idea about using them to drain the grease off! I used to use butcher paper when I was in high school to cover some of my books. A nice clean fresh piece of butcher paper just waiting for a sharpie and colored pens!

:weee

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Also, for when you make roasted red peppers. Or luminaries (tended carefully!) for the holidays.

If all else fails they are good for putting under mulch in the garden to delay weeds' poking their way thru to sunlight.

Boy, do I wish somewhere around here still used paper bags.

Pat

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
ha ha If you want to pay for the postage, I can mail ya some! :coolsun

Georgiagirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used mine as wallpaper in my living room. Looks like suede.
I tore it into pieces so all edges are rough, wadded it up tightly to wrinkle it. Smoothed it out with my hands. Dipped my hands into wallpaper paste and smeered it onto the wall, stuck the paper on and more paste on top. make sure all surfaces are torn edges and overlap each other. the straight edges were used on the corners and at the ceiling and floor. Looks great in with all my western decor.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Firestarter in winter, all rolled up tight. Mulch for garden paths. Perfect for holding sweetcorn dozens for sale. Also great for making microwaveable caramel corn.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
OH wow!! Georgiagirl we would love to see pics if you can post some!

Meandthegals,

How do you use them for mulch?

Also I'm not picturing the use for making microwavable caramel corn....Is it to cover the bottom to prevent mess?

Georgiagirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not sure how to do that right now, just got my home computer set up last night! And a new digital camera so I am ready to learn. But that posting a pic thing is totally new to me! But I will try asap.