What do you know about ADD?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
After hours of conversation with my son's 4th grade teacher yesterday, lots of chats with my kids' teachers over the years and our own challenges at home, I really suspect my kids may have ADD and ADHD.

Let me also add that I did not even used to believe in these diagnoses. I used to believe they were a load of bull, an easy out for parents who didn't want to parent and teachers who wanted to medicate rather than deal with different learning styles.

Let me say now that everything I read about ADD yesterday seems to fit my situation exactly. My husband and I are trying to talk to as many people as possible and learn as much as possible. If this is what we determine our kids' challenge to be, we will have decisions to make from there.

For now

1. What do you all know about this?

2. What do you all believe you know about this?

I would greatly appreciate if opinions were stated as such and real-life experiences also stated as such.

3. Do you believe ADD/ADHD is a real diagnosis? Why? Why not?

4. Do you know anyone with ADD/ADHD?

5. What treatments (home, school, medical, behavioral, nutritional) have you seen or heard to be effective?

Don't worry about offending me, unless you call me a bad parent. Then I will be offended :D If you believe it is behavioral and needs certain parenting skills, I would like to hear you graciously explain them, really!

Thanks in advance!

me&thegals

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I've taught many children diagnosed with ADHD and ADD. They are highly intelligent children, and if given the oppurtunity usually grow up into successful adults. Many highly successful business owners have ADHD/ADD symptoms.

I read many books on the subject one that I loved was called the Hunter in the Gatherer's World or something like that. Very interesting book. Another one is called So I'm not Stupid Crazy or Lazy?

I have to run now, but I will share with you some exercises that can help lengthen their attention span and promote independence.

My own daughter was diagnosed with ADD, but years later she was tested again and found it was really Auditory Processing Disorder...sometimes those two can mimic each other's symptoms.

I'll tell you more when I get back.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I "know" that the diagnosis is, or at least in the past few decades *has* been, pretty broad and vague and clearly encompassing a variety of not necessarily related things;

I "know" that in many cultures, what's labelled ADD or ADHD is simply considered one of the kinds of personality a person can have and it's just assumed that people will work out ways of fitting it into their lives, same as any other departure from statistical-exact-average;

and so personally my opinion is that it is more useful to look at kids as individuals and see what seems to be the exact nature of their particular issues, and deal with it on a case by case basis, rather than trying to subsume it all under the single umbrella of one or two acronyms. (The main beneficiary of the ADD/ADHD umbrella diagnosis, IMO, has been the pharmaceutical industry...)

And also it is my personal opinion that not everyone needs to be alike, as long as they can find ways of adapting to the major ways that society is structured.

JMHO of course ;)

Best of luck,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Because of the personal nature of my response, I am going to pm you my answer. I don't want to put personal stuffa bout my son up on this forum.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After living with an adult ADHD (Inattentive type) and raising my daughter who also shows signs of it, here's my $.02.

#1, Diet is a BIG part of it, IMHO. When DD (Or DH for that matter) snack on junk foods or processed foods, they are more distracted, emotional, illogical & have trouble coherently expressing themselves. When they are eating real food & lots of fresh veggies & fruits as snacks, they still have some issues, but not nearly as many or severe.
I believe you said on another topic that your kids have a great diet with lots of variety & no dyes, etc. That's awesome :D

#2, Dh finds that a timer that makes an audible noise as it is counting down helps tremendously with staying on task. A steady Tick Tick Tick can be heard from his timer when he is trying to take a shower in less than 10 minutes or he's waiting for the washer to stop. He uses it with lessons for our DD. an aside: We decided to homeschool her because of her inattentive issues. Daddy will know within 30 seconds if she's not paying attention. Teacher (with 15 or more kids) isn't going to notice nearly as quickly. Time lost in the classroom is lost period.[/]

#3, DH has learned to make a checklist of activities he needs to do or complete. Just simple notes work.

#4, Habit & repetition make things easier as well. EVERY morning, he gets the clothes I laid out & starts DS getting dressed, then completes the 3 other tasks that follow every single morning before I leave for work. Even on weekends.

I do believe that it is a actual learning disorder with a physical cause. I've read so much over the years that I'd have to look at my books to tell you where any individual info comes from. I give DH & DD additional Magnesium, Zinc and iron plus we all take pyruvate calcium supplements which seems to help. DH is teaching DD all his tricks that let him fly through school as a steady B+ to A student, even with trouble paying attention (those tricks are ones his dad taught him)

I do believe that too much emphasis is put on medicating, not enough on finding individual learning methods, plus diet & exercise, which definately detracts from the "real" sufferers.

I do agree with what Pat said. What works for one, might not work for another. Find out what the issues are (getting up & walking around, outbursts of speech, daydreaming, paying attention to too many things going on around them) and get your kids involved in experiments to see what works for THEM to solve that problem.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
It's a real condition but is blamed for other stuff sometimes. Many people use nutritional programs to deal with it. The brain has to have the right nutrients supplied to run well.

Some people respond well to taking high quality fish oils- for the high amounts of DHA and EPA that are naturally in them. Look for one that is marked Pharmaceutical Grade or Distilled so you know it has no mercury, pcb.s or other nasty stuff. Some formulas add herbs and other nutrients too. I worked in a health food store and lots of people where happy with the results.

My Brother in law has Adult ADHD. He responded very well to fish oils after about a week on them. He started remembering what he was doing (not distracted then told to get back to it), finishing stuff, and was less moody. His coworkers were thrilled.

Checking with a nutritionist is a good idea or ask Dr. about it, especially if they have any other medical conditions or prescriptions involved. Let them know you're open to alternatives to drugs.

Some exercise in between periods of mental work/sitting is good too. Some kids use martial art classes to burn some of the energy and learn to focus. Other sports may work too.

Sometimes allergies or food intolerances are involved. Some reactions can affect brain or nervous system and make people act different.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, first I am going to tell you what I know about ADD/ADHD, then I will tell you how I feel about it:>)
First off, meds don't help kids with ADD/ADHD. I mean, they seem to help, at first, but then you go through a maze of different drugs and combinations of drugs to keep getting that 'good child' effect. NONE of it is good for them. It is all mind altering and most of the drugs they prescribe should never be given to kids.
Some kids are ADHD due to disciplinary problems at home, non consistancy, no real consequence to their actions.
Some are ADHD due to poor diet, not enough healthy fats (fish oils) that the brain needs to function normally, some is food allergy related...do your kids have dark circles under thier eyes, do they get hyper after eating certain foods?
ADD and ADHD often stems from 'giving up' on trying at school and usually due to underlying learning disabilities like dislexia, and the anxieties that can result.
Anxiety all by itself can exhibit ADHD like symptoms. There's a whole lot more to this "catch all lets drug the kids disorder" than a simple learning disorder that can be cured with a pill.

Are they truely behavioral problems? I knew this little guy in kindergarten that I spent alot of time with whe I was working with the teacher who was dx'd ADHD because he could't sit still. He was very busy...but he was a DELIGHTFUL child, full of energy and zest for life, always smiling and trying to help others in his class. Couldn't sit in his seat for more than 5 minutes though...I honestly feel they should have checked him for worms first:>) And food allergies. But the parent and the teacher got together and this child ended up on ritilin...yes, it kept him in his seat, and he did benefit to some degree for about a month...and then ritilin wasn't doing it anymore so they added another drug...I was so sad for him! There was NOTHING wrong with him...he just needed to be more physical.

Are they having social issues at school?
Is it merely a can't sit still issue, or are they really causing trouble?

My oldest was very hyper in school, his social skills were, and still are nonexistant, he was a full time tyrant who did alot of damage to the rest of the family. THAT is NOT ADHD.
You are going to really have to spend alot of time really getting down to the bottom of each of your kids issues, and you are going to have to advocate strongly for them if you decide to stay away from meds. Our school system seems to think that meds is the only answer for any child who doesn't do what is expected of them...and the demands are too high for some of the children.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know anything but will be reading this thread closely.

I have a 4th grade boy as well. This year we switched from private to public school. This thread is very interesting to me. My son is having some learning issues. The private school just kept saying "oh hes a boy he will grow out of it" Well 3 years later he has not and we are now playing catch up. The public school system have many more programs as well as teachers educated in this field. So we are hoping for good results.

So far I am working with the special Ed. teacher. I guess thats what her title is. We are trying different strategies that will help my son focus and stay on task. One thing she has said that because it is only the third week of school there is no way she has anywhere near enough info and data on my son. So we agreed to work in the strategies and see how they helped then meet again in a few weeks.

He has only had really one or two off days which have required him missing some recess. On those days I specifically ask was this an "only a today issue". This way I can identify if it may have been something he ate for breakfast. I.E. a specific cereal or perhaps apple juice.

I do supplement with the omega 3 but because of his size I think I am going to get him some adult swallow whole pills. Give him a larger dose in an easier manner.

Any recommendations on milligrams for body weight??? And with multi vitamins can I use a Healthy Man supplement and give him maybe half?

thanks gina

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Omega III's.....for adult maintenence, look at the label for total mg of the DHA and EPA. Add the two numbers up, you want to take 1000 mg total per day for a healthy adult. The docs I know start with 3000 mg total EPA and DHA and increase gradually "to bowel tolerance" up to 10,000 mg a day, but that is a lot for someone to take without a doctor's guidance. Reduce as symptoms subside.

Avoid products that contain any soy oil. Good quality fish oil is still a bit bulky, a really high quality supplement will still be about two large capsules to get 1000 mg EPA and DHA. So if they are adding fillers, it is garbage.

A contributing factor to the Omega III imbalance we see today is the high amounts of polyunsaturated oils in the modern diet. The proper ratio of Omega 6 to Omega III's is 2.5 to 1.5, and the modern diet is usually 20 to 1 or even as high as 50 to 1.

Just taught this class last night. Spent an hour and forty minutes and only scratched the surface. E-mail me if you want more detail, it is ok if you are not ready or wanting to go in this direction, I do not insult that easily.... :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I agree with everyone on this thread.

IMHO I agree with free, nutrition is key. When my own daughter was misdiagnosed with ADD (daydreaming, zoning out etc.) the dr wanted to put her on meds. I chose not to...good thing b/c it was the wrong diagnosis. I think that happens all the time too.

One thing about private schools is that most don't have any resources for dealing with special needs children or children with learning differences...public schools do. You have to be ultra diligent with public schools. Just speaking from experience.

Latest posts