What do you substitute for 'cream of X' soup?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
As I was going through my recipe box I noticed that I have many recipes I no longer use because I don't like using canned 'cream of x' soups.

I am looking for substitutions that are easy, versatile, stable (can be used in baked recipes w/o separating) and if possible, low in actual cream.

Does anybody have any ideas?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! This is exactly the boat I'm in. It will be fun to see what people come up with.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Why low in real cream? The fat in real cream is what allows your body to absorb vitamins in the rest of the soup. It also gives your brain the "I am satisfied and full" signal. When you pull out the fat in a soup, it ends up getting replaced by starch, which is just sugar as far as your body is concerned. Sugars deplete your body of vitamins while signaling your body to store fat AND makes you HUNGRIER.

That aside, you can use smooth pureed cauliflower as a soup thickener. I use that and heavy whipping cream.

When, due to time constraints, I break down and use a canned cream soup, I use Cream of Chicken Mushroom soup because it has the lowest carb count.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Cream of whatever soup mix

2 cups powder milk
1 cup flour (3/4 cup cornstarch)
2 tbsp dry onion flakes
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup chicken soup base ( I buy at bulk food store-msg free)
1 tsp basil
1tsp thyme

combine 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/4 cup water or milk. Add 1/3 cup finely chopped veggie or meat. Cook over medium heat.

If you want to make a condensed version--reduce the amount of milk or water, or increase the amount of mix.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thanks MTN! We never seem to be able to keep Cream of Mushroom soup in the house for our casseroles! I am going to have to try this!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just make my own cream of whatever soups and can them.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I use thinned mashed potatoes.
A thick rice milk that I make works well with stronger flavored foods.
Sometimes I make a thick oatmeal milk if out of rice.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
I just make my own cream of whatever soups and can them.
Tell me more. Aren't cream soups thickened? I thought you shouldn't can thickened soups? I am looking for recipes, using real ingredients like cream, for just this reason! No more canned soup casseroles here, and isn't the reason for those great recipes the time-saving idea? I would love to toss a jar of home-canned cream of mushroom soup into the crockpot with some meat or chicken.

Tell us exactly how you go about it, please! Even if you don't use cream, maybe I could adjust your recipes to suit my own tastes.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Wifezilla - I don't have a good local source for cream. I can get milk from a source that I trust, but it's skim.

For other dairy products I have to go to the regular store and have a hard time finding organic from who-knows-where.

miss_thenorth, is the cornstarch a possible substitution for the flour? It sounds like a great recipe, do you use it in casseroles and such? Thanks for sharing.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, you have to thicken the cream soups which is why it's not a recommended practice but I belong to a canning group where many of us have been making cream of whatever soups for years and years and years and none of us have died yet. I can cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of chicken and mushroom and cream of celery and onion. For all of them I just start with a simple butter and flour thickening to which I add my beef or chicken or vegetable stock and then throw in whatever it is that the soup is supposed to get it's flavor from. I can for 75 minutes for pints (pressure canning) and when I use the soup I mix it with milk or cream.