What do you use on powdery mildew?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I just discovered what it is, as this is the first time I have ever had this problem. Our Zucchinis have been almost decimated in just the past few days and it is heading towards all our squash plants. :ep I also need some ideas on how to keep it from coming back next year. Wife and I already decided that none of the infected plants are going to be composted this year, but will be heading to the burn pile after the season ends. Any other thoughts? HELP!! :barnie

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I recommend a dilute solution of skim milk sprayed on the leaves - google for the exact recipe, I don't remember offhand. I only had to use it one year, but it seemed to work pretty well.

For next year, it might also be worth a) making real sure you are choosing mildew-resistant (or mildew-tolerant) varieties if at all possible, as there is considerable variation in how bad they get it; and making sure they are planted with plenty of space between the plants and in a location that gets good air movement i.e. not in the lee of a fence or anything like that.

If they haven't got it super bad, and you treat it, it should be ok :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat