What do you use to clean with? (Green-as-can-be products please)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here is a scouring powder I like to use for sinks and countertops.

Biodegradable Scouring Powder
1 cup baking soda
30 drops lemon essential oil (degreaser)
30 drops rosemary essential oil (stain remover)

Mix together, store in airtight container (I prefer non-metallic). Rinse with water or an herbal vinegar.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Dace said:
<aybe I missed it but can anyone help me with stone? We have traveritine floors and I prefer to mop with hot water, vinegar and a few drops of EO to make things smell nice....but then I read acids like vinegar are bad for stone. Now I am stumped so I went back (EEEEK) to MrClean
OH NO!!! :th :th :th

I Just used vinegar to clean the Stone(is probably stamped concrete) in front of my fireplace. Did I just damage it??

Also, does anyone know what to use to completely eradicate the smell of cat pee on surfaces?

I know how to get it out of washables...I just wash them in the washer in vinegar twice. But what about carpet, wood, and stone etc?

Please help! :hit

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
Also, does anyone know what to use to completely eradicate the smell of cat pee on surfaces?

Cat pee?! :barnie Don't use bleach! Cat pee is full of ammonia! Is the surface solid like tile? Or is it wood?

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Okiemommy said:

Cat pee?! :barnie Don't use bleach! Cat pee is full of ammonia! Is the surface solid like tile? Or is it wood?
It's just about every surface you can think of...come to find out that one of the kittens wasn't using the litter box... :hit

Lets see....

Laminate flooring..both the wood and the kind you would find in kitchens and bathrooms

Carpet

Stamped concrete

Baseboards (wood)

:hit :hit :hit

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OH MY!!! Naughty kitty!

I'm not sure I can help b/c my cat is really a dog and he takes care of his business outside. My mom and dad have a million cats and they have had to cut carpet + pad out and replace with a square of matching carpet and a square of new pad. If they didn't do that the cat or cats kept using the spot over and over again.

On hard surfaces (not wood) I've used plain soap and warm water.

Wood, well not sure.

Good luck, sorry I wasn't much help. :hu

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
OH MY!!! Naughty kitty!

I'm not sure I can help b/c my cat is really a dog and he takes care of his business outside. My mom and dad have a million cats and they have had to cut carpet + pad out and replace with a square of matching carpet and a square of new pad. If they didn't do that the cat or cats kept using the spot over and over again.

On hard surfaces (not wood) I've used plain soap and warm water.

Wood, well not sure.

Good luck, sorry I wasn't much help. :hu
.....sigh...we are planning on ripping out the carpet and pad in that room and replacing it with laminate similar to the laminate in the living room only darker...it's just that is not something that we were ready to do yet....I don't feel like it's an option now. No more kitties for us. :(

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
. . .

I know how to get it out of washables...I just wash them in the washer in vinegar twice. But what about carpet, wood, and stone etc?

This stuff is great. You can get it at health food stores, but here' s a link for it.

http://www.bi-o-kleen.com/pdfs/BacOut.lo.pdf

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
For cat pee, I have just used straight vinegar. Don't know what to tell you about different surfaces, but we've used it on carpet, tile, and hardwood, (although this was cleaned up right away-it didn't get a chance to sink in. )

For general cleaning, I use regular soap, vinegar, baking soda. I don't make any mixes to keep stored, I just mix if I need to or when I need to.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Okiemommy said:
. . .

This stuff is great. You can get it at health food stores, but here' s a link for it.

http://www.bi-o-kleen.com/pdfs/BacOut.lo.pdf
Awesome!! Thank you!!

Miss_thenorth, Thanks :) I hope it works.... The smell isn't as strong in the carpet, but it's not gone...We're still working on it. YUCK!!! :(

I think I bleached the hearth with the vinegar! :hide I hope I didn't ruin it....I think I did.....